1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Butz Choquin Semois

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Feb 21, 2013.

1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I went to Bruges yesterday with wifey and friends. Popped into Jerry's Cigar Bar and decided to buy a tin of BC Semois tobacco. I have tried the Vincent Manil Semois and really enjoy it so thought I'd give the BC a try. I sat in the smoking area in the shop and cracked the tin. This stuff is really good. As it comes in a sealed tub (Manil comes in a paper packet) it was ready to go straight away. What a smoke.

If you haven't had a chance to try Semois before, it is robust and for me has a rather old-school feel about it. The taste is full, and the nicotine content is satisfying. I believe it started as a Burley or Kentucky plant that has since evolved into its own species, now grown exclusively in Belgium. If you ever find yourself in Belgium, get some.

The Semois growers also produce cigars and cigarillos of various sizes. Whilst they are a fair distance off being in the same league as the finest Cuban hand-rolled, the leaf lends itself very well to being smoked in a cigar.

Right I'm off. Need to find out a way to move to Belgium.
  2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Interesting... I will have to look into this. Thank you!
    YAPPG likes this.
  3. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I'd love to get some if I ever have a chance. I've read so many articles about it. From GLP, to New York Times even, it sounds like great stuff. I won't fret over it though, as Penzanze and the other -hard-to-obtains, as I'm not getting hopes up in the event I never get any of it.
    YAPPG likes this.
  4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

May 5, 2011
    I got a little in a trade once, it seemed almost a condiment tobacco to me, maybe not something I would smoke straight. It has had a year or so to age now, so it might be time to break it back out and revisit it!

I have no idea who blended the sample I have.

I hope you enjoy yours!
  5. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Many thanks for the B-C Semois you gave me yesterday, David. Smoking it now, in a Blakemar ball (though someone on Tobacco Reviews says it is a notorious ghoster, so I may smoke the rest in clays and meers). Lovely stuff - hint of cigar flavour, and plenty of Vitamin N.
    Belgium - what a country! Great chocolate, great beer, great food, great jazz (Django Reinhardt, 'Toots' Thielemans), and great tobacco - and they recently went for over a year without a government!
    buistd likes this.