Buying a new tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Brit abroad, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

How do you choose a new tobacco? With the mind boggling array of tobacco that is available how do you generally choose a completely new style/brand to smoke, personally I read reviews and see if the reviewer has similar likes to me then order a couple of ounces and hope for the best, but I find it so difficult to make an intial choice I can spend weeks trying to make up my mind and as I am on a limited budget making a good choice is sometimes a tough one....luckly there are some really good reviews on the forum, that helps me tremendously thankyou PSF!

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Since I joined this forum the vast majority of my purchases have been based on things I read here about the blends. If I read about a blend here that sparks my interest I will check out the reviews on TRC and make a decision from there. I have also found a few outstanding blends that are now my favorites by receiving samples and trades from other forum members.

In regards to trying new blends, I would be wandering aimlessly without this forum.

3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I just go get another tub of Carter Hall. Easy peasy.:xd:

Raffxr7, RTOdhner, MainePipe and 6 others like this.
  4. Brit abroad

Ok DG but what if you wanted something different, that was more my point I will gladly smoke what I know all day every day sometimes I want to know what I may be missing, oh and I took a look at your corncobs last night really nice looking pipes I may just have to buy a couple any recommendations?

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I think your best bet is to ask someone here that has similar tastes . That might take a little reading but it's a good idea . The thing with TR is that , unless you know the reviewer , from reading the site and clicking on a reviewer to see where theyre at , which takes some time ... it could be just a shot in the dark . For example , say your looking for some thoughts on an aromatic .... lets say theres 96 reviews on it with a 2 star average . First off , two stars seems kinda low .... then you read the reviews and 30 percent of the people say it's a 4 star aro blend and three people give it three stars and the rest two or lower . What do you make of that !? Heck , I dont know . I have a feeling that half the reviewers on TR havent smoked a pipe for more than a week if at all because of the odd things written . Heres another example .. if you were to send me a message asking me which Lakeland blend you should try .. I'd say , are you out of your freakin mind !? You dont want a soap flavored aro to smoke ! See what I mean .

muddler likes this.
  6. DGErwin11

As an ex-518er, I was being a smart a$$ about the tobacco. I don't have any desird to try somethinv new.

Just pick one you like. They are all an improvement in my opinion.

Brit abroad likes this.
  7. Brit abroad

Gotcha!

8. craig

craig Active Member

My thing is if im in the shop that has a good selection of pipe tobaccos ill have a browse over and see if any grab me, if they do il come home do some research see what they contain, have a read of a few reviews, but i mostly go for what it contains, its failed me a couple of times, but it has gave me some brilliant moments of smoking enjoyment.

Brit abroad likes this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Oh , heres another thought . Pipe Tobacco ... Most are good , some suck and some are great .. so , if thats true , I believe it is , then you cant mess yerself up to much

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I remember in the beginning (all the way back to last year ;p) I would scan the tobaccos on SP.com and click on the ones which name intrigued me, read the description, then determine if I wanted to chance it. After buying numerous scattered varieties of tins and bulk baggies, I managed to determine what types of tobaccos I preferred. I discovered I was a Va and Burley lover for sure. I also discovered I like Latakia; ad that I didn't like Perique much.

I read a lot of what people here were smoking and talking about; and discovered tobacco reviews.com. I think it helps a great deal to know in advance where your tobacco tastes are in regard blends. Where do your taste preferrences gravitate to? Are you a Va, Burley, Latakia, Perique, flake, English blend, etc, etc.

RTOdhner and Malcontent like this.
  11. Brit abroad

Most definately Latakia and orientals also I enjoy virginia perique blends not so much a fan of burleys and aromatics no longer give me enjoyment, I tend to stay away from anything with a casing I want to experience the flavours that the tobacco gives not a flavouring, I guess what my point is that I know what I like its just the mind boggling array of fine tobaccos out there I find it frustrating knowing where to start.... so many baccy's not enough time, my excitement on enter a b and m tobacconist is unbelieveable and spending a day there wouldnt be a problem choosing several tobaccos on the other hand is, maybe I should just learn to make a decision and stick to it!

12. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I agree with everything that has been said on here. It is trial and error in the beginning and then you start to figure out what you prefer.

With that said, your tastes may change over time. Mine sure did.

The great thing about the online community, especially on here, is that you develop friendships and can ask people if you can sample a particular blend that they may have in their cellar to see if you like it. That way you don't spend a fortune on blends you don't really like.

It is daunting at first but the journey is half the fun!!

Brit abroad and dwaugh like this.
  13. craig

craig Active Member

i totally agree with i could easily spend all day in the tobacconist i visit in scarborough, just browsing the tobaccos and talking to the owner, i think that would be my own little world of happiness as i am a total pipe and tobacco geek :D

Brit abroad likes this.
  14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I would try and find a pipesmoker in your local area, and see if he has anything sitting around.

Brit abroad, DGErwin11 and dwaugh like this.
  15. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Berg, this guy lives in a very desolate area of Northern NY, I doubt he will find any local pipe smokers :D

Brit abroad, DGErwin11 and jpberg like this.
  16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Au Contraire, I hear the Amish have the 5 Bros. market cornered

Brit abroad, DGErwin11 and dwaugh like this.
  17. DGErwin11

Maybe after the roads get open you can meet berg in Malone. Just make sure you are not mistaken for a prison escapee.

jpberg and Brit abroad like this.
  18. Brit abroad

Yeah Jon if you know of anybody please let me know:toast:

jpberg and dwaugh like this.
  19. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Word of mouth, for me. Either from on here, or a youtube video, or someone at my B&M...If I havnt had it, I'll at least look up what it is. If it is in a vein of tobacco I already enjoy, then I'll try it, if I want to...I suppose I'll try anything once...

20. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Apart from panic purchases of those difficult to find blends, word of mouth here seems to be a good way to go. then branch out, Like everyone recommended Carter Hall, it didn't do much for me but Cherry Blend and Sugar Barrel have been go-to OTCs. Escudo leads to Scottish Cake, Club Blend leads to Dark Twist etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.