1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a new tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Brit abroad, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Same here. I ordered sample packs or small quantities of anything that sounded interesting. I discovered that I don't like Burley, Va's are OK and Orientals hit the spot. Since then I've been concentrating on that area to find my favorites.
    Stonewall likes this.
  2. Labman

Labman Member

Jan 11, 2013
    I'm fairly new to pipe smoking, and I don't really have a preference yet as to what types of tobacco I like the best. So, I've been doing the whole looking at reviews thing and picking up whatever sounds most appealing.

One thing I've noticed in my search for good 'baccy to purchase, is that there aren't a lot of YouTube video reviews to use as a reference. I love video reviews because you actually get to see the reviewers reaction while they are smoking. I would love to see more knowledgeable pipe smokers do video reviews...it would be very helpful for us rookies.
  3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    When I really got into pipe smoking and discovered the joy of the internet, I just picked a blend. Nothing scientific about it, I just ordered whatever I liked the sound of or thought that the tin art was cool. It was hit or miss, admittedly, but after a while I figured out what I liked. In my case, I lucked-out because I found that what I really liked could often be had in bulk.

I think that it can become easy to over-think that whole thing, or devote too much effort to considering the opinions of others. Just pick a blend, and buy a tin or two. If you like it, then make note of it. If not, do not throw it out or trade it away. Jar it, and go back to it in a year or so. Tastes tend to change over the years, so you might find that you like it in a year or two. Also, be sure to give it a fair hearing - try it at different times of the day, and in different pipes. I had just about written-off Stokkebye Natural until I tried it early one morning in a cob with a mug of stout black coffee, at which point my opinion of it rose from "meh" to "damn skippy!"
    SouthBound and Brit abroad like this.
  4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Jul 4, 2012
    At my B&M, I grab at a semi random pace. I check to see what sounds good online, usually, and use that as a frame of reference. If most folks like a blend, I grab it and don't worry. I avoid the blends that are love-hate relationships and so on. If something turns out to be undesirable, I look at it as a trade option.
    Brit abroad likes this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Oh, I never did anything like this.... :rolleyes:

OK, maybe a few hundred times. :oops:
    RTOdhner and SouthBound like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.