1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Buying a smokers first pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jenny Wilson, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny Wilson

Jenny Wilson New Member

I'm in a bit of a bind. My boyfriends birthday is coming up. He wants to start smoking pipe and I want to get one for him with all the start up accessories. I'm having a hard time only because there is so much to choose from and since this is his first pipe I can't cheat and look through what he already has. I'll probably end up getting his pipe from eBay or smoking pipes.com.

Just hoping you guys could narrow my search down a little bit. Im looking to spend 70 to 120 on the pipe. My boyfriend is a sawyer And works with his hands every day. I want something masculine and classy for him...that isn't much help. All pipes are masculine and classy.

Well anyway, Any help you can give me would be great. There are so many names to choose from in estate pipes that it has become a little overwhelming.

Also, for his birthday Im getting him a few corncobs and a pipe tobacco sampler ( I'm not sure from where yet).

Thanks again,

2. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes.html
    Quite a few good choices there that are pre-packaged and relatively inexpensive. Personally, I'd go for one of the Irish silver band series but there isn't really a bad deal on that page. If you're getting him a cob make sure it's a missouri meerschaum. Ebay is also a good choice, but there may be some restoration involved in an estate pipe.

3. Jay

Jay Active Member

Jenny, start with a classic shape. Either a bent or a straight pipe, smooth finish or sandblasted or rusticated. Savinelli is a great brand for your price range as are Peterson's. Buy him something that you would like to see him smoke--that would mean a lot to him. The selection is huge and overwhelming on both pipes and tobacco's. So I would say to start simple. A pipe is a great combination of form and function, something that a man who works with his hands can fully appreciate, well really most men can appreciate these things. Tobaccobarn.com has a great sampler pack of 1oz samples and should be a good place to start. Then, turn him on to this site and we will walk him through how to actually use the darn thing!

Also, get him an inexpensive pipe lighter, the flame comes out at an angle--essential for most smokers, pipe tool--check out the Czech tool, and or a pipe nail, some good pipe cleaners (I like Long's brand) and he should be good to go.

Ebay pipes really can be a gamble. And usually require restoration--sometimes a lot of it and may not be the best choice for a new piper to get started on.

Missouri Meerschaum is the best cob on the market and you can't beat the price.

best of luck, and happy birthday to your man!

Gary, Mark w4mms and Snake like this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

There are 3 types of pipes . Straight pipes , Full bent pipes and semi bent Pipes . A semi bent pipe is a good choice because it's in the middle . See , some people think straight pipes are uncomfortablt to hold in your mouth . Some people think a full bent pipe is to much bent , A semi bent can be held in the mouth pretty easy and isnt way bent to where it's against your chin or something like that . Heres a pic of a semi bent shape ...
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=87562 ... man , thats a nice lookin pipe ! Thats called a prince shape [ Yeah , they got names .. lol ] This next one is smooth and rusticated in it's finish .. http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=81055 ... man , thats nice too ! So is this ... http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=79523 ... This one reall cool ... http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=82874 . I could go on

5. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Hi Jenny, I'm a Jenny, too. Well, actually I go by Jennifer most of the time or sometimes Jenn. I'm RuffinoGold's wife. He's the expert, so I can't really tell you much about what a man might want in a pipe, but I'm a pipe smoker,too. Three months now, I've been enjoying this hobby with my husband. After 11 years of marriage, he finally talked me into trying it and I love it. Just wanted to let you know, that pipe smoking is not just for men, I'm proof. It's very relaxing and enjoyable. There are lot's of great pipe shapes for women , you're already registered here, so far, you've made a great start! Stick around for a bit and it may get you thinking. We also have lots of really cool smilely faces.:D Jennifer

WyoBob likes this.
  6. Jenny Wilson

Jenny Wilson New Member

The shape of the savinelli Saturnia is exactly the shape I have been looking for. Actually all together it is a gorgeous pipe. I have been looking at unfinished briar up until now.

I think you are right and I'll Stay away from eBay, at least for my first purchase.

7. Jay

Jay Active Member

that's a fine looking pipe and is sure to be a good smoker

Go for it!

8. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

9. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Looks like a pretty good choice to me!

10. Jenny Wilson

Jenny Wilson New Member

I positive now I'll be getting him 2 MM pipes ( probably a bent diplomat and a Country gentleman ) a Czech tool, and a few different types of tobacco. Ill still be stressing over the pipe for the next day but probably end up settling on that one.
    Thanks so much for the help
    please post any more pipe recommendations or ideas.

Beale likes this.
  11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jenny, I'd go with that Savinelli Saturnia.
    You already like the shape, which is going
    to be a plus whenever your boyfriend smokes
    it. Savs are great pipes, and I have several
    from SmokingPipes that are estates. SP is
    a great etailer, and I've had no complaints
    over the last few years buying from them.
    Good luck!
    Oh, yeah. Staying away from the bay is a
    good choice until you've become adept at
    what to look for in a pipe.

12. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Good choices! If your boyfriend is a cigarette smoker he will prolly like blends that have a lot of Virginia in them such as Escudo and MacBaren's Navy Flake. If you want him to smoke something that has a nice fragrance (pipe smokers call it "room note") get a pouch of Carter Hall. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (not the regular SWR) has a fantastic room note and it has a slightly sweet, chocolatey taste. You can likely get CH and SWR aro locally and they are both relatively inexpensive. Speaking of inexpensive, MM pipes sell for about $6 ea, Czech tool for a few $, a pack of pipe cleaners also for a few $ so you won't have to break the bank to get him set up for smoking a pipe. BTW, your boyfriend is a lucky guy. My wife would rather wring my neck than buy me a pipe or baccy.

13. Beale

Beale Active Member

Very good choice in the Sav and the Cobs!! Good luck! You are an awesome Gal!!

14. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Way to go Jenny! That sav is a great first pipe...or second....or tenth....or hundredth! You have a good eye for shape and style. As others have said, there are tons of tobacco blends out there. However there are only a few genres of tobacco.

Burleys have been mentioned...they have a nice nutty flavor and a mile room note.

Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends have a sweet, almost hay-like flavor and aroma. Perique is just a way to spice up a Virginia...almost peppery....yum!

English and Oriental tobaccos are made with Virginias and Latakia...an oriental tobacco with a camp-fire-smoke flavor, but some are turned off by the aroma, which can be strong in some blends.

Aromatics are the nicest smelling, but often the hardest to smoke due to the "casing" which give them that aroma. These can be a bit damp, and difficult to keep lit....a real put-off for a new pipe smoker.

That said, I would go with the SWR for a Burley tobacco and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake for a Virginia. SWR can be found at some drug stores, but you can order on line, which is where you will find most of our favorite "botique" blends...the LTF is very reasonably priced too, whis another reason I recommended it.

Try http://www.marscigars.com/ or http://www.cupojoes.com/ ....these are very good e-tailers with a good reputation.
    Just keep in mind, pipes aren't gender specific. There are quite a few "Ladies of the Briar" out there too!

Have fun, and don't forget to let your boyfriend know about PSF!!

15. Jenny Wilson

Jenny Wilson New Member

Wow. You guys have been such a huge help. Ill be placing the order tonight with probably 4 tins of tobacco so he can pick his favorite. Great advice. I'll look these up

Mark w4mms likes this.
  16. user1975

user1975 Active Member

He sounds like a very lucky guy!

17. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

Jen......when all is said and done, you should bring your boyfriend back, and have him join us as well. By then, you'll be able to show him the ropes.....lol.

Mark w4mms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.