1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Tobacco Direct

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Grim_Puffer, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Ive been browsing some of Cornell and Diehls tobaccos and came accross a page of their huge selection of bulk blends and it says at the top you can buy them in 2 oz tins. ( and 8 and 16 oz if you want too )

SO I was thinking about doing so but had a few questions.

1, On tobacco reviews some of their bulks catch a good bit of praise so I am assuming when they say available in tins it means the tins with the pull top lid and plastic cover..... or am I wrong

2, being bulk blends and assuming they are packaged the same as a tinned blend can you age it as such or does it not make a ddifference for them.... prob a stupid question but I have only bought bulk that comes in ziplock baggies that go straight to a mason jar and I smoke em.

Just wondering and thanks guys for the feedback, sorry if this has been posted previously
  2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

I for one certainly don't think it's a stupid question - and I don't know the answer to it either so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

This year's project tobaccowise for me was to check out the Petersons tobaccos and the flavoured tobaccos I've avoided for years but find I'm now quite fond of. Next year's project is likely to be an exploration of C&D's blends....

Best to all

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    All the 2 oz. C&D blends I've seen come in round tins with pull-top lids. I imagine they'd age nicely in this container, if they're stored in a dark, cool place. In theory, there should be no difference between the tinned and bulk varieties, but you'll find opinions on this that vary depending on the blend. Best to test it yourself.

Gerry, I think you'll enjoy C&D blends once you try them. Their Autumn Evening is a first class aro (especially if you like pancakes & maple syrup!) and their Blockade Runner is an excellent Navy cavendish.
  4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Yes, they use the pull-top type tins. Elsewhere on this forum is a link to a video of the C&D operation. It does a good job of showing their "tinning" machine and process. The seal should be good until you pop it open.
    As far as aging...it will depend on the blend you buy. As noted in lots of other posts on this subject, a blend that is mostly burley will "keep" and one with mostly Va. will generally "improve". Expect the same results from storing these tins as you would expect from jarred bulk.
    Hope this helps.
  5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Woodbutcher is "dead on"! C&D bulks in the 8oz and 16oz sizes are tinned. If you get C&D bulk in any other denomination other than 2oz, 8oz, and 16oz, expect it to come in a zip-lok type bulk bag unless you order 2/8/16 in multiples. I like many of the C&D blends and some I don't care for now but may grow to enjoy them later as tastes change/mature. C&D.............something for everyone! :)

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff
  6. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I have several pounds of C&D "bulk" blends in 8 oz tins, some of it for several years. They are the same construction as the smaller tins and are airtight and do not rust. All tobacco, as it ages gets milder and more mellow. Va's tend to be sharper and sometimes a bit bitey, so most state they age better than burley because the age tends to take off the edge, and they become more mellow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.