1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

bying online tobacco from Canada

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi guys,

So this week i got a pouch for 20$ at my local store, i didnt shop around but my take is that the Canadian gov charges allot of taxes on tobacco products.
    Now if I buy from lets say a american online shop, will i get charged at the border all the canadian taxes? that will bring up the prices to 20$ for my pouch ?

2. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Yes, you will be charged, and no, you might not be charged. Customs in most countries is something of a crap shoot. Many Canadian pipe smokers order their tobacco online from US shops because variety is significantly better and because even if they are nailed with duties, the final price is still cheaper than it would have been if purchased at a Canadian tobacco shop.

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  3. David Emond

Thanks Beaupipe, as a fellow quebecer, is what i paid average or over priced ? 20$ for macbarens vanilla cream.
    ill take your suggestion and ill start to order Online, any good stores that you can recommend ?

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've sent pipe tobacco to people in Canada without them being hosed by the govt . I check the customs box that says gift and the weight I say is 3oz / 100 grams . So far no ones had to pay a tax on it . If you order from a etailer/retailer .... I have no idea . Yer best bet might be getting someone in America to buy it and send it to you as a gift .

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Guys, and gals, please tread carefully on this thread. Openly discussing ways to circumvent import duties and taxes(and therefore, laws) will not be tolerated. Just FYI.

David, in addition to fellow countrymen lending their experience on the subject, a quick perusal of tobacconists' shipping policies on their webpages, or a quick call to same may help.

Elwin likes this.
  6. David Emond

sorry didnt think about forum rules when posting. Ill leave it be, i did browse a online store from toronto ontario and they had the same price for my brand 20$ for Macbarens Vanilla cream.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Talk to Rich at 4noggins.com.

David Emond likes this.
  8. David Emond

Nice , thank you very much :) the site is blocked at work but i will go browse it tonight for sure.

9. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Sad to say, but I'm not a Quebecer. I'm orginally from that horrible place known as Toronto, but I live in the sunny south nowadays. And listen to jpberg, because he's absolutely correct.

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Rich at 4noggins ships to Canada, highly recommend! :th1: And $20 for Mac Barens seems reasonable to me in Canada, my local shop sells it for $16 in the US.

11. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Here in the States, MacBaren is usually a good bargain compared to many tins you can buy, as the price for their 100g tins runs close to the same as a 50g tin from someone else. Still, at $20 for a 100g tin in Canada, it's still in the ballpark of what I'm usually willing to pay, which is about $10 for 50g, less if possible, maybe a little more at a B&M.

12. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I love this country!

Ol Brokedik. U.S.A.

Spaceboy Tim likes this.
  14. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'm afraid our day is coming, OBD. Our cellars don't necessarily need to be wide, but they need to be pretty deep, me thinks.

Sent using Forum Runner

15. firebos7

firebos7 Member

From my limited experience (ordered from smokingpipes) getting stuff from the states online. They didn't really charge me much at all. I don't recall the exact details but there was no special duty or taxes added to my shipment (this was uh oh probably 2 years ago now) and the 50g of 1792 was still under 10 bucks all in (our dollar being a fair bit above theirs at the time helped too)

Really though it tends to be a crap shoot with Canada customs so I might just have been lucky.

20 bucks sounds about right to me for local, over in Ontario from what I can see even the low end stuff starts at 20+ for 50g

David Emond likes this.
  16. David Emond

Thanks Firebos :)

17. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I'm about to make a small order (100 grams) from 4noggins. I will let you know the details.

David Emond likes this.
  18. BourrePipe

BourrePipe New Member

I'm in Montreal and ordered many times from Rich at 4 noggins and never had any problem. In montreal There is Pat & Robert in Montreal on Ontario street near Papineau with a nice assortment and decent price. I'm still looking for a place in Canada to get my Penzance but did not find any. Let me know your hot spot for tobacco in Quebec?

19. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

As long as you accurately declare the contents there will be no issues.

Topic closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.