C&D Briar Fox Vs. Opening Night

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Can someone compare and contrast the two for me? I've smoked Opening Night, and I think it's a superbly crafted product, albeit a little one-dimensional. I'm looking for a Va with a little more depth, not necessarily something that's going to clobber me with sweetness, a little bit of nicotine, but not something that's so complex that I need zen like devotion to figuring it out. I'm not normally one to seek out Va's by themselves, but I'm looking to replace my RYO rotation with something that's heavy on the Va flavor that I get from my RYO stuff. For this purpose, Perique is a no-go as a condiment. (OGS won't cut it in this regard)

How would you compare and contrast the two, and how well do you think that Briar Fox would mesh with what I'm looking for?

2. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I think you ought to give it a try. It sounds to me like it is very much along the lines of what you are looking for. Briar Fox is not as sweet as Opening Night. It is very different. Not really what I would call refined or complex. It is very good, in my opinion. But not a light, sweet virginia that you have to hunt for faint nuances.

Puff The Magic likes this.
  3. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I've spent a good amount of time with Briar Fox now, and I can say that I find it to be an incredible blend. It's not going to be right for a lot of people, especially if you favor sweet Va's or need your tobacco to read like a quantum physics manual. If you're mainly a burley OTC or non-menthol cigarette smoker, and want to reset your palate to expand your horizons, I can't think of a tobacco more suited to the task. Briar Fox is a no-frills Va tobacco, that lacks the bite of brighter Va's, and is exceptionally smooth. The smoothness of this blend cannot be undersold. It is buttery on the palate, solid tobacco flavor, with maybe a hint of sweetness along the same vein that some people perceive an extra dark chocolate to be sweet whereas others don't find it to be sweet at all. It is exceptionally suited to accompany your morning coffee, but has enough strength to be smoked in the evening as well. I can't really speak to its nicotine content, as I'm apt to chew between smokes, and keep a relatively constant stream of nicotine in my system (...and I refuse to apologize for this). It doesn't hit me as being overbearing in nicotine content, whereas something like G&H Brown Bogie can sometimes slap me upside the head unexpectedly. The nicotine content is enough to satisfy me for a while, so it may be a little overbearing for smokers used to light aromatics.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

ON is a good sweet va

BF has all the va flavors but not as sweet but does have a nice smooth finish, creamy, and a nice sweetness at the end as well as aftertaste. BF also will improve noticably with as little as 6 mos age on it.

Ed
    Puff

5. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

ON is one that I'm going to have to revisit. When I first tried it, I wasn't really at a technical level to enjoy it. I got one good smoke out of it, which was actually my first "the universe came into alignment" kind of pipe moment, but my technique at the time left me with little else but heat and ash.

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Well, it's your responsibility or luck to pull out from that leaf what it's all about. It already showed you that it can be planet aligning.... I like em both but for ready smoke, the ON is a good flake that needs minimal dry time. Otoh, if i wanna have some 'baccy foreplay and slice, shave, cube, or whatever, BF is always willing!

Ed
    Puff

7. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

I dare say BF is my favorite toby with coffee. If it isn't my favorite toby, period. Taste wise I haven't heard anyone mention the slight molasses type of edge to this one. I dont' care for it past mid bowl without a drink because of how strong the taste is, but with some coffee it actually adds something there. I wouldn't call this one simple because of the change that is occurring throughout the smoke. the light leafy turns sort of deep and creamy as you go along.

The only downside to the fox is the absolutely nasty room note. Since I've started smoking indoors I have found this one to polute the environment more than any other. If you aren't the one smoking it it's just a misery.

The heel of a medium bowl of BF has a flavor unlike any other that's to be reckoned with(and quite the a nic hit if you got there without much break). Enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.