1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

C & D Briar Fox

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Yossarian, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

Jan 6, 2012
    After reading a few recent posts regarding Crumble Cakes and Briar Fox in particular, I decided to include a tin in my recent order from P&C. Being relatively new to pipe smoking, I have been trying to sample as many different blends as possible to see where my tastes lie.

Yesterday I opened my new tin of Briar Fox and pulled off a chunk from the corner of the cube. It crumbled very easily and packed nicely in my MM Diplomat. I charred the tobacco while my truck was warming up in the driveway, then set the pipe down until I would be heading out to the orchards.

I grow almonds here in California's Central Valley. The orchards are located about 3o minutes from my home and the drive through the countryside with a pipe is one of life's true pleasures for me. Currently, the trees are in bloom and the views of acres upon acres of trees bursting with white and pink blossoms couldn't be lovelier. However, its also a time that is a bit fraught with worry for us because rain or cold weather will prevent the bees from pollinating, and frost will kill the newly forming almonds.

The Briar Fox burned slow and needed few relights nor my full attention. I just couldn't get over how creamy and buttery this tobacco is, and how well it seemed to coat my mouth. There was absolutely no tongue bite whatsoever. Briar Fox was a perfect companion for a leisurely drive through the orchards, a blend I could see becoming my go to smoke.
  2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Great comments. You really make me wanna try this one.
    Thanks for the review.
  3. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

May 4, 2011
    Glad you liked it. My personal favorite VA.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Sounds good.
  5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    You've succeeded in making me want to try this, it's definately been added to my "have to try" list! :puffy:
  6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    It's definitely one to try, especially for those old farts who think virginia blends have nothing new to show them. This one is definitely unique.

Thanks for the interesting comments, Yossarian! :th1:
  7. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I was sitting down with a bowl of Briar Fox earlier, much the same as I am now, thinking about how I would best describe the blend. I think it falls right in the middle of a grassy sweet bright or red Va, and G&H Brown Bogie. It has a lot of what I like about lighter Va's, and everything I like about the G&H rope without being harsh or overbearing. Although this description leaves it wide open for interpretation, that's about as close as I can get to pinning this one down. If you're smoking it in a pipe that isn't completely broken in, it benefits from a little drying time, but smokes fine right out of the tin. At the moment, it is the only blend that I have a single pipe devoted to.
  8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Jun 5, 2010
    Oh great, another one for the next TAD list. There is no end in sight. Another on, then another one, then...

Great scene set up though, I can almost see the blossems!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.