1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

C&D Burley Flake #2

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've found it interesting that as a new pipe smoker, I didn't care for my first sample, which was Burley Light from The Briary. Interesting because I now find Burley as my go to smoke nearly daily. I still like my Hamborger Veermaster, Sillem's Black, Shortcut to Mushrooms, etc. I just find that Burley has become my regular broken up by other things I like for variety.

I found Solani Aged Burley Flake to be one of my absolute favorite tobaccos. Top ABF off with Carter Hall and that's a great smoke for me too. Wessex Burley Slice was so similar to ABF to me that I really couldn't discern a difference.

I sent off my beloved Wessex w/the Box Pass #3 for those that haven't had a good Burley flake. I found myself yearning for some today. Instead of opening a new tin of ABF, I thought I'd try something new in Cornell & Diehl Burley Flake #2.

I opened the tin and was pleasantly surprised at how stuffed the tin was. Not the pretty little package ABF comes in, with Solani's neat little rows. The #2 was stuffed side to side with flakes, and the voids at the curves were stuffed with partial flakes. There were even a couple of partial flakes & broken flakes stacked on top. Nice...

The tin smell was similar to ABF & Wessex; kind of a tangy, citrusy note. The flakes were bit damp, so I left the lid off for an hour. I took the broken flakes & leavings off the top & set them aside for another thirty minutes of drying.

After the dry time, they were at the lightly moist level I like, so folded & stuffed the two broken flakes in the bottom of my MM Country Gent. I rubbed out the leavings and poured them on top. I charred the top and had a significant swell, so tamped it down level & relit.

I was pleasantly surprised that not only was #2 a great smoke, but it has a different flavor profile than ABF & Wessex. The hint of tang was there, but the nuttiness had a slightly different flavor. A little richer maybe? A touch sweet, but again, different than the others.

I smoked the bowl to the bottom while sitting on my back porch, enjoying the awesome weather & cool breeze. When it was done, I was sad & thought I might need to invest in an MM Freehand for a longer smoke in the near future.

I will be adding C&D Burley Flake #2 to my TAD list and if you like Burley, you might give this a try yourself.

Happy smoking,
    Brad

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

God.... I just don't get burley. I wish I could. But I have all this fancy stuff, Solain ABF and CD BF(#3) and whatnot, and I just don't like any of it at all. I ordered a tin of WO Larsen Kentucky Gold as a last-ditch attempt, so we'll see what happens. I envy you though Brad. Pisses me off when I can't enjoy something that other guys "get".

3. BradNTX

What is it that you don't like about ABF? What have you smoked it in? And, how have you prepared it? I'm sure you've had it every which way, but am just curious.

Keep it in a safe place, and when I order my next pipe from you, you can ship it to Texas for proper disposal. ;)

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

What don't I like... it tastes like nothing, slightly bitter, slightly nutty. I've got better tasting dust in my workshop.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I tried it in two or three pipes... big bowls, small bowls... it just doesn't engage me at all.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I did have some stonehaven that I didn't totally hate. But I'd take a bowl of Navy Cavendish over it any day.

7. BradNTX

Interesting...

Ever had it in a cob?

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yup. Tasted like cardboard in a cob too.

9. BradNTX

LOL, more Burley for me!

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

IT's funny no one else is offering any thoughts here. I guess Ruffino thinks Burley is Mac Baren Golden Extra and nothing else will do, and no one else cares what you like and I don't. :p

11. BradNTX

I especially can't believe Yin hasn't thrown in his 2c! Something about his mother hates the smell of Burley, so he loves it that much more... :D

Kiowapipe likes this.
  12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yin has a mother?

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Doesn't mean we're not reading the posts and having a good laugh. As far as thoughts on Burley, I got nuthin'. Though I've recently tried one or two that have been pretty decent, I haven't picked up any significant quantity of it. Suggestions?

14. BradNTX

What have you tried already?

That's what I thought, but there is this thread Yin posted about a visit from his mother or something. Not sure if it was real or just created from imagination to make us think he wasn't found under a rock. I think the rock possibility seems much more plausable than the mother story. :confused:

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think he cut out a picture from a Sears catalog and carries it around in the top of his hat. Calls it "mummy" which is quite startling if you don't know him.

Herb, you'll find the burley crowd come in two main camps - the codgers, who smoke the OTC stuff, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, HalfnHalf etc, and the bombers, who smoke high-nic huge blends like Old Joe Krantz or Burleys 1 thr 4 from C/D.

Other "notable" burleys include the Solani Aged Burley Flake mentioned here, Mac Barens Golden Extra and Burley London Blend, Stonehaven from Esoterica, and probably a few others I've forgotten.

My own tastes run toward sweet and spicy, so the earthy/nutty burley just doesn't do enough on its own for me. I'd far rather have a Va/Per, but that's just me.

16. BradNTX

I like Solani Aged Burley Flake the best so far. Wessex Burley Slice is too similar to buy both. C&D Burley Flake #2 is also very good. I have a tin of Mac Baren Golden Extra, but haven't opened it yet. I also have a bag of Esoterica Stonehaven on the way, but have never had it before either. I plan to have smoked both by the end of summer.

I guess if Yin's Sears-order mummy gets wrinkled or lost he can always go pick another...

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I ordered the BF3 because it was all 4 star reviews on tr.com but I literally almost puked as soon as it was lit. Smelled good in the tin, as does ABF - very attractive.

I do enjoy it condimentally - Grey Havens for example wouldn't be the same without burley, nor would Kingfisher. But they are both also sweeter and spicier, and the burley is just offering some depth and stoutness, I guess.

18. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I have always wondered why everyone was always giving rave reviews on the various burley blends and I would try them and think they were just Ho-Hum. It's not that I thought they were not good, just that I never found nothing memorable in them. I have often said I never do without Carter Hall, but the fact of the matter is that I never smoke it alone but I consider it a superb blending agent. Basically the same with Boswell's Premium Burley; I never smoke it by itself but have used it many times in blending and/or taming or enhancing various other tobaccos.
    God Bless!!! Ray

19. BradNTX

I'm with you here! I love Carter Hall mixed with other stuff including ABF. ABF is soooo good though by itself. Not sure what's wrong with you and Sas. :oops:

20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Uhh... we have taste buds?

I'm not sayin'... I'm... just sayin'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.