1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

C&D Burley Flake #3

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Happy Sunday to all.

Does anyone have any comments or opinions on C&D BF#3? I've read plenty of great reviews, elsewhere, but frankly I trust this place more.

It has what I like Bur/VA/Per, but before I take the plunge, I want to here from you.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It's certainly on the stronger end of the Va/Per/Bur spectrum. I enjoy things like Kingfisher or McClelland's Grey Havens, and thought BF3 would be worth a try in that vein. WRONGO! It's incredibly, death-defyingly strong. A huge nicotine kick that I couldn't get past. Now, if you are a lover of a burley like Stonehaven, this toby is in that tradition, and have at 'er - I can understand really liking it. For me however, it's just like being punched right in the guts - I immediately felt sick, and I mean, as soon as I lit it. I sent it to another guy who likes stronger stuff, and he thinks it's god's gift.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You think Stonehave is extra strong and has a nasty nic hit? I find it medium flavor, exceptionally smooth, and low nicotene. Sounds like BF #3 is not far from BF #2; I can't smoke a regular bowl without a swimmy head and upset gut. I usually smoke 1/3 bowl & let the swimmy feeling go away before finishing it off. Stonehaven isn't anything like that for me.

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I smoke both 2 & 3. They're both burley forward and med-strong in nic but also flavor as well. I prefer 2 over 3. if you're familiar with 2 then add a vaper to it and there ya be. 3 is good. Not as nice as RLGF but then again, LGF is ~1/3 more costly too. 2 really smells strong when fresh. 3 is similar but not quite as pungent. My 2 tin was pressurizedlike it was about to explode. 3 was as well but not as bulging as the 2. I guess fermentation was going on :)

Ed
    Puff

5. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Wow, so this stuff is that potent!

Does C&D make a less powerful, Va/Bur +/or Per?

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'll suggest a non C+D in that vein: try mac baren Roll Cake. It's a burley with a little virginia, and a perique-ish component. Very nice, and not the brainhammer that BF3 is.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

#3 is far and away my favorite of the 4 BF's. I consider it Old Joe Krantz's more civilized brother. It has excellent flavor and no harshness. I smoked one small tin and stocked my cellar wide and deep. One of my favorites, FWIW.

8. BradNTX

Now I'm with you on that! Your initial description, months ago, encourage me to buy a tin. I smoked my first few bowls last week and it is very nice. I like it and would like to keep it on hand. The flavor profile is nothing like the other blends in this discussion. More fruity than nutty, but with a little spice for punch.

9. BradNTX

Do you age it? Dry it considerably before smoking? What are your secrets for squeezing the best flavor from it? Fess up... :)

10. dmkerr

I pop the top, load carefully and fire it up fresh outta the tin. It's all very involved. :beck:

11. BradNTX

Ohhh, so that's how you roll... :bow:

12. dmkerr

Yep! I'm not sure how much aging will impact it. My tins will have a year on them shortly and I'll crack one and report back. Fresh, I find it to be the best burley C&D has ever done - and they wrote the book on burley, IMHO... at least the recent book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.