1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

C & D - Burley Flakes 1, 2 and 3

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by hoss, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoss

hoss Member

I've been on the burley train lately and it's been a downhill slalom.

I was privileged to try burley flake #2 some time ago, thanks to a generous brother on this board. The first thing that really stuck out to me was the absolutely unique aroma out of the sample bag. It smelled like fermenting cheese and i can't say i've ever smelt anything like it from a tobacco before. It proved to be a mellow, but medium bodied savory smoke that i thoroughly enjoyed. Personal rating: 4/5.

Tonight it was a comparison between flakes #1 and #3. I simply couldn't help but crack the tins i was meaning to save until i got through more opened stuff, however, a local friend of mine is willing to let me borrow his food saver, so i'm going to town! :dunno:

First up, i cracked tin #1 and was immediately greeted by an almost McClelland-esque tomatoey scent. I let it dry in the sun for 30 minutes before packing and lighting up. Being a huge Va/Per and burley fan this one was right up my alley, along with the other Bur/VA/Per blends out there such as Kingfisher and Haunted Bookshop. Unlike those two, however, this is much bolder with it's dark burley base. The spiciness of the perique is also evident though, which was a nice touch to the in-ya-face burley that dominated the flavor spectrum right out of the gate. It did mellow a touch as the bowl progressed, but never let go of it's full bodied nature all the way to the bottom. This was smoked in an Armellini Calumet - one of my few dedicated burley pipes and was accompanied by nothing but a glass of water. Personal rating: 5/5. This is a must try for anyone who enjoys this genre!

Next, i popped the tin of #3 and noticed quite a different aroma. This one reminded me of peperoncini. It had been drying for 90 minutes, while i tasted the other first. This one gave me a lighter and brighter earthy impression upon light up, but quickly built to a nice med-full bodied flavor by about 1/3 bowl. It continued to fill out a bit, but remained less deep in flavor over the spectrum of the smoking experience. I didn't detect the perique as much in this blend and i'm not sure if that's due to the fact that there's less in the mix or if it just doesn't contrast as much with the burley used in this blend as opposed to the darker type used in blend #1. In any event, this one graced the bowl of my Rad Davis squashed tomato - another dedicated burley pipe and was also accompanied by ice water. Personal rating: 4/5.

So far, #1 takes the cake for me, but either of the other two are great runners up and not a shabby burley blends by any stretch of the imagination. All 3 are good, solid smokes that i will certainly keep in my smoking rotation.

I'm not sure if/when i'll ever try blend #4 as i rarely smoke lat blends anymore. However, there are a few out there that i still enjoy and given the fact that all 3 of these others have been excellent in their own way, it may just find a place in my tasting adventures at some point in the future. :jig:

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Frankly, I like number one but number 2 to me was like smoking cigarette tobacco, just kind of flat and no personality. C and D normally has great burley but to me this is not one of them.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I hear ya about the "notes" #2 gives off. You should open a fresh tin of #2 (mine was really swollen, looked like it was ready to burst!). Man, I swear the odor took me back to my high school days! No, it wasn't like a dirty locker room, it was something way better but definitely smelled bad & good in a way. The smell let me know that fermentation was going on full bore in the can, and I just stopped it by opening it. Anyway, the smell was very reminiscent of "teenaged sex". Sort of a "damp panty" like a school girl "in heat"! If I closed my eyes, and held the fresh opened tin up to my nose, I'd have sworn that I was with my first girlfriend in my big old mercury! Anyway, I enjoyed BF #2 very much and from the comments above, I'm gonna have to give #1 and #3 a "go". I wasn't too sure about these but I took a gamble and won (IMO). When opening #2, and taking a whiff, I thought "well, this tin is wasted money and it'll probably end up in the trash. Glad I didn't toss it and gave it time to breathe off the gasses of fermentation. Boy, did it smell "funky"! The proof is always in the bowl so firing up, I thought "glad I didn't toss this toby, it's good stuff!". And so it goes. Now, I've gotta track down some #1 & #3 for sure. Thanks guyz! :groucho:

:jig:
    Ed Puff!

4. hoss

hoss Member

Perhaps a little too much. :thumbsu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.