1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

C&D Epiphany

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user3610, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3610

user3610 Member

I really want to try some- although the reviews are kind of mixed.
    What do you dudes think about it? Is it sweet? Is it an aromatic?

2. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

I have a little, but have not yet smoked a lot of it. It's slightly sweet, but I would not call it an aromatic. It's a nice blend, and at various times I get a taste of each of the components (including Latakia) but no overwhelming presence from any one thing. Not an every day smoke for me, but something I plan to keep around. I will order more with my next PAD order.

3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Epiphany is a match for Revelation. I have a bit, and have smoked it...its ok. I much prefer Sutliffs version of Revelation, R-Blend, though. Its one of my everyday tobaccos. Theres a bit of sweetness, some smokiness, and some spiciness, as well as a nice topping creates much deliciousness. Epiphany, and Altadis Revelation Match, for that matter, are not as balanced as R-Blend...the latakia stands out, and not much else...just by 2 pence, though...

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I found Epiphany rather epiphanous. It's a match for Revelation but the original version rather than the later House of Windsor incarnation. Bob Runowski "designed" it (RIP, Bob) and he was pretty much universally recognized as the OTC King.

Epiphany is an excellent take on this venerable OTC and is well worth a try. Definitely not aromatic, it's more of an American English... some light latakia on a base of burley rather than virginia, which is where the "American" part comes from. The latakia is subdued, however, so it would be a nice way for someone to cut their teeth on that condiment. It's definitely part of my regular rotation.

JRobert likes this.
  5. user3610

user3610 Member

I'm too young to have had Revelation, probably- but that's what I'm shooting for- Einstein's baccy.

I did not realize there were other replicas. Out of these (mentioned), which is the sweetest & readily available in the U.S./most recommended?

-Epiphany
    -Sutliff's R-Blend
    -Altadis Revelation Match

6. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Old Codger likes this.
  7. user3610

user3610 Member

Wow! A whole thread answering my specific question- thank you!

I've got a hunch that I will like the topping on the C&D- so I'll start there.
    I've requested a sample on the Trading forum- if nobody replies over there, I'll just buy a couple ounces tomorrow- the price is right too.

8. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I have both Epiphany and Painter Hills. I prefer the Painter Hills and smoke it quite often. I have no idea which is a closer approximation of Revelation since I don't think I ever smoked it. Epiphany is a little milder and Painter Hills may have just a little more perique in it which just kicks it up another step in the right direction for my tastes.

JRobert likes this.
  9. user3610

user3610 Member

Which is sweeter of the lot?
    I like my blends on the sweet side- not cloyingly however.

10. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call either of the two I mentioned very sweet. At least not like some of the weird toppings out there that make me want to brush my teeth for 20 minutes.

11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I would say R-Blend is the sweetest...but its not sickly sweet...or even aro-sweet. The topping is most pronounced in R-Blend than the others. Ive never had the original Revelation, so my shootout is a bit hollow, but of the three, I prefer R-Blend. You can get an 8oz tub for like $15 or so...not a terrible deal.

user3610 likes this.
  12. user3610

user3610 Member

Coda- I will consider you an expert in this field- thank you.

13. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I got into R-Blend because I read it was a match to Revelation, which is what Einstein smoked. I was studying the life of Einstein at the time, so I bought a tin...and didnt like it. The topping was...strange. One day though, it clicked...I love the topping now. It kinda has a Fruit Loops-esque smell...but dont let that put you off. It goes great with the other components. Like I said, I found R-Blend to have the best balance...with all the components on an equal tier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.