1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

C&D's Cordial and Night Train, good as change of pace ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Piperatthegates, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Normally I enjoy latakia forward blends that have a decent amount of Vit N such as Nightcap, Commonwealth, Artisans or Old Dublin. During the past few months I've ventured into the world of Stateside bulk blends of which I have Pirate Kake, Star of the East and PS Balkan Supreme all of which are terrific blends and for a while I found it difficult to stay away from, especially the Pirate Kake. But then Nightcap reappeared at my local B&M and, well old habits and all that. But now that its warmed up a little and I spend more time outdoors I feel I could do with something a little lighter without sacrificing the Vit N and as I've so far only good to say about C&D's blends I thought I might look for somethiong a little 'lighter' but still with a bit of a nic kick.

To be honest I much prefer to hear from guys on here than over at TR as I have found some of the reviews a little, well, over stated shall I say? So, I thought about maybe getting in a few onces of Cordial and Night Train from C&D, they sound good and although Cordial still has latakia in its mix I get the impression it may not be as forward as in S.o.t,E. for example. What do you think? would it make a decent choice as a change of pace for these warmer and brighter days?

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I can recomend Night Train - it's my 'all day' smoke at present, on my second 1lb. brick!....another good buy is 'Virginia Squire'.
    OT

3. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

Thanks Ted. Is Night Train pressed in the same way as Pirate Kake? PK was my first experience of pressed cake and I was totally impressed with smoking qualities, it also seemed to keep fresh with no problem at all. Virginia Squire, well to be honest I was put off slightly on 4Noggins when they said that the John Pattons blends were a bit on the dry side so I tended to stay more with their C&D and PS blends but its good to see people recommending them. Would that be Night Train on your avatar?

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....yes - on both counts!, I find it works best (NT) to just pull a few lumps off and stuff in the bowl, then use a little finer rubbed stuff as kindling. Yes Virginia Squire is intentionally drier than usual, and with slow smoking is o.k, but after experimentation I put enough for the day in a small 'Tupperware' box, drape a very damp flannel over the top and leave it overnight, seems to be a lot more flavourful and slower burning.
    OT

5. Piperatthegates

Piperatthegates Member

O.k. then thanks for that. I like the look of that cake and it seems a pretty good process too for bringing a deeper flavour to the blend, I'll be ordering a half of that later, probably with Cordial although I'm still not sure about that one. Might go for one of the PS flakes instead. I think I'll probably give the Pattons blend, Virginia Squire a miss for now though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.