Calabash Pipe rack ideas....

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by Tudorp, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I have a couple calabash gourd pipes, and as you know those just don't sit very well in a standard, or traditional pipe rack. I want to find, or build a pipe rack specifically for Calabash pipes that will hold 2 or 3 pipes. Does anyone have any ideas, plans, or seen a rack design for these types of pipes?
  2. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I just found this.. But, not sure if I like this idea, if the bowl popped off, the pipe would hit the floor... But, it's a start I reckon..
    [​IMG]
    Maybe something like this that will support the gourd, but the pipe flipped around 180 degrees facing the other direction might look better for display?
    Rewster66 and Mington like this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr Moderator Moderator

The bowl shouldn't pop off if the cork seal is secure.

Personally, if I had a collection of these pipes, I'd get a bunch of the stands you posted and turn the stand sideways for best display effect.
  4. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

The bowls are tight.. And the more I find some of these, where the bowl sits, it rests on the actual gourd, not the bowl, so my fear wouldn't be a problem.. And the inside of that seat is tapered too, which would also help.. I like the idea of sitting it sideways like you said too. I think I might work on a design similar to this, but holds the pipe 180 degrees the other way tho.. And build a couple 2 pipe stands like that...
    Rewster66 likes this.
  5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I can't tell from the picture, but I would think some cork or felt should wrap the inside of the bit where the gourd touches. My 'bash is in a sock, though, so what do I know? :)
  6. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

There ya go... That's perfect, a sock nailed to the wall would be perfect.. lol
  7. yinyang

I didn't make fun of your solution...:)
  8. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Not "fun of" a real solution brother.. lol
  9. dmkerr

dmkerr Moderator Moderator

(cue up Batman theme)... BASH!... SOCK!... POW!

Sorry... it's the helmet... back to topic....
    Jesla and yinyang like this.
  10. shadow

shadow Active Member

You could take a block of wood and fraise or even drill an oval hole in it where the pipe can rest.
    Have a look at www.danpipe.de
    They sell one of those calabash stands/holders but it shouldn't be too difficult to make one similar yourself.:bing:
  11. yinyang

Always the Joker...
    dmkerr likes this.
  12. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

If you have a fireplace nail that sock over it. Santa be comin.
    dwaugh likes this.
  13. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I'm thinking about making something to this effect. I don't have measurements yet, I will set those after I take measurements and average between my two Cbashes. But I am thinking about something like this as a cradle type of rack.

[​IMG]
    Lestrade, Old Codger and Sawbones like this.
  14. user2428

user2428 Active Member

I like that, looks good!
  15. korkman

korkman Member

That is a good design but my main issue is the stress of the stem due to the position that it would be in. My guess every time you put the pipe in that position the stem will move about a tenth of a millimeter. With time the stem would either pop out or crack due to the repeating stress.
  16. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

How about a U shaped piece of wood with a felt strip to support the bottom of the gourd?
    korkman likes this.
  17. Briar Boy

Briar Boy Active Member

Actually if you look really close you can see it close to the bowl but not touching, the cut out is funneled to let the gourd rest on it, this pipe is almost too small for that rack or the rack is too large for the pipe depending on how you look at it, they come in different sizes.
  18. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

the sock idea is good.... as long as you didnt wear it before hand like the picture of the band "Red Hot Chillipeppers" in their infamous street crossing picture.