1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Calabash, Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CupofEarlGrey, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CupofEarlGrey

CupofEarlGrey Member

Hey, I just a Calabash today and I'm loving it. It's so far my favourite pipe, I own two bent Boswell briar pipes, one straight corncob pipe, and now my Calabash. My question is, what do you guys think of Calabash's?

2. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

I don't own a calabash but i have recently had the desire to buy one. I personally love the way they look, the heavier the bend, the better.

Also, welcome to the forums. I noticed this was your first post, enjoy your time here!

3. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I have a calabash shaped pipe but not a traditional gourd calabash. I think it's a fun shape and one day I plan on owning a huge gourd calabash. I think the idea of a removable meerschaum bowl is cool.

4. CupofEarlGrey

CupofEarlGrey Member

Hey, thanks, I'm liking the forums thus far. I bought an actual gourd Calabash today at Boswell's for $220, I'm loving it, it smokes amazing. Hoping to put pictures up of it soon.

5. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Yeah, let's see some pictures! Sounds like a great pipe, and as long as you're enjoying it, that's what's most important. I would like to get a calabash at some point, I think the weight and heft of it would just feel right in my hand. Sadly that's going to have to take a backseat to the four or five other pipes ahead in the queue on my wishlist.

I hope that thing smokes like a dream for you for many years to come! :cheers:

6. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Heh, I just noticed your forum name is "Cup of Earl Grey." Funny, that's my favorite pipe companion beverage.

7. CupofEarlGrey

CupofEarlGrey Member

I always drink Earl Grey with my pipe. Actually, my blog is entitled Cup of Earl Grey, I use that for almost anything. Earl Grey is the best drink out there. But the Calabash is smoking rather nicely, picked up some Christmas Cookie tobacco with it too, it's delicious. It's my favourite pipe.

8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Elegant! Dignified! Kickass!
    OBD.

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i like my gourd calabash as a smoker, but i actually have to maintain it, which would normally be cause for a pipe being banished.

10. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

I have a Strambach Calabash Gourd w/ Meerschaum bowl, it is a little bigger then most of my pipes so I only use it on the weekends at home, but it is pretty good, it was about $200. I also have a Peterson 05 system pipe that is a calabash shape, it sees more regular use, those are about $100.

11. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

:punk:

A Gourd Calabash is a great addition to anyone's collection. I wish I still had mine. Sold it on ebay about 10 years back when I wanted (not needed) another fly tying vice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.