1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Can an ID by stinger be done? Pipe shape has yielded nothing

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Raffxr7, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

The stinger on this particular pipe is the only thing distinctive about it. I am on the wrong computer to post pictures but will have some then. If it is possible to ID by a stinger alone, that would make my day...... heck it would make my week!

2. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

3. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Preacher, I have to try... shape and ID stamps have led to nothing.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

What are the ID stamps?

Keep in mind that it's absolutely impossible to trace the lineage of certain pipes. In some cases, they were commissioned by an off-brand and put out with no name, sometimes they were made by some guy at home with a lathe (I have one of those - a nice brandy shaped walnut finished beauty that smokes great!) and sometimes they are simply "seconds" or "thirds" that a well-known pipe marque made. The olde English pipe marques usually did not want it known that they made seconds or thirds, so they kept their name off the pipe, even though the pipe was often very nice. Your average "basket pipe" often comes with no name other than "imported briar" (as if there were any domestic briar!) or even less info!

What I'm trying kindly to say is that it's very likely you may never find out where your pipe came from. However, if it's a good smoker and you like the looks of it, does it really matter that much?

5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

You never know, it's worth the shot, but, I've personally never seen a stinger on a pipe that looks like the one on my Kaywoodie, even other KW's look different. Once you get some pics posted though, you may just have an I.D. on that pipe of yours! ;)

6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Iḿ on a witch hunt, my best friend buys the same basket pipe every time he destroys the one he had from our local B&M and he doesnt have much time left. He was suppose to be dead over three months ago. Cancer... is a mean spirited female dog. His youngest boy isnt even a year old yet. The B&Ms owner wont help, I don believe she knows what is what and what is going on with pipes and tobacco. Just a retail business to her. Her son expressed interest in helping but I doubt there is much he can do to find a dupe pipe. I want to make four smoking kits for his kids, a pouch or tub ( depends on my ability to purchase) and a copy of the pipe he smoked. The actual pipes this guy has are... well, they are not in great shape. I have been fixing them, and I keep finding more things messed up. The stinger on his pipe is the same as the stingers on the other basket pipes, which leads me to believe they are seconds from the same place. They are just marked CZECH, I have one with a lucite stem and a 2¨ deep bowl, the pipe shapes are somewhat unique on a few. There was even a pocket pipe in the pile at one point. The rustication is weird on his, too. I am hopeful, but I am desperate. I may have to go towards a pipe he smoked less of, a grabow duke. I will get a pic with a better camera, and then show it. Maybe the odd pipe shape of the one will trip someones memory.

I am going to get him a pipe that he has requested the type of (I had to pry to get him to tell me, he isnt greedy and didnt ask for it. I find estates and suggested one of those, but a new pipe also works so I can get a few copies of it) so that he at least has four pipes and four sons. I doubt his girls will have an interest in pipes.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Ok, that answers my question for sure! :oops:

Good luck with your search - hope you find your answers! :toast:

8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

RE smoking kits--will be given to the kids between ages 18 and 25. Depends if they are still tearing stuff up at a particular age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a different pipe from the same place, it shows the best ID tag overall.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.