1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Can anyone help with this pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tudorp, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I have a pipe that was given to me awhile back, and I tossed it aside until now. I think I would like to restore, or have it restored, or at least a stem for it. It seems like a pretty nice pipe. Here is what it is marked with: Vauen, Dr. Perl, 6284.

Can anyone offer any info on this pipe? Is it worth restoring, or spending any money on it? I love the grain in it.

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

It's German and they are still in business........

3. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Is this one that might be worth repairing, or having it repaired? I don't have a stem at all for it. This is exactly how I got it..

4. user0003

Eh....not to me........but..........*dunno*....

5. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Hmm... I do like the figuring in the wood.. Maybe I'll do what I did to one of my Dad's pipes for my Mom.. When he passed, I took one of his pipes, and cut it in slices and made her the coolest looking briar ring. Since Mom don't smoke pipes, I wanted her to enjoy one of his pipes too, so I just made that ring out of it, and she loves it, and wears it all the time to have something very personal to Dad with her all the time.. Old cool looking briar pipes do make really nice briar bands to wear.. Hmm..

Kiowapipe likes this.
  6. user0003

That sound really Cool Tony! any pics....pleaseplease..please....

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I think these days they're trying to position themselves as a medium-high range, maybe something that could compete with Stanwell. I know some folks on here have newer Vauens that they love but overall it seems like they get lukewarm reviews. I believe though that Vauen has been around forever and they used to be sort of like a German Kaywoodie- affordable but pretty decent. Actually, check this out:
    http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=VAUEN
    As far as whether it's worth spending money on, I doubt (but don't really know) that you would be able to make money on it with a refurb. If it looks like it's drilled well, though, it might turn out to be a good smoker and you've already said you like the grain. Personally I enjoy futzing around with old estates and would probably try to fab a replacement stem for it. If that's not your cup of tea I bet you could find someone who would make a nice replacement for $20.

8. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I have a Vauen and I think it smokes just as good as my Peterson and Stanwell, granted it takes a 9mm filter and without it, the draw is too open. I think it would be worth getting a stem made for it. They have acrylic stems with a grey dot (in Germany they are still allowed to use the white dot). Seems like a lot of people don't know about Vauen, however as far as my experience goes with them, they are great pipes. Mine has awesome fit and finish, you can check out my review in the review threads. Yours has nice grain, for sure, however I don't know much about the "Dr. Perl" model.

9. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Sure Jes, I don't have one of Mom's. Maybe if I remember, I will get one if I can get it off her finger, ;).

However, here is mine, made from the same pipe. Mom's is of course not as thick as this one, and much more delicate. But, this is the band I made for myself out of Dad's pipe. I get lots of inquiries about my briar ring, and compliments, especially when I tell them it was made from a pipe my Dad smoked for years.. Very comfortable ring believe it or not. I figure if people wear precious metals, why not precious woods? ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Preacher1611 and Elwin like this.
  10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That ring for your Mom is excellent.. What a great idea

11. user0003

That's cool dude.....

12. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

Thanks.. Another bit of trivia about this newbie that I hadn't mentioned before is I am all about recycling, and/or "re-purposing". Funny how much un-useable stuff is simply tossed out and disregarded, when it doesn't take much to make it into something cool and useable again. Mom's briar ring has history with her soulmate (since she was 14) and to be honest, I think she is as attached to that old briar band as she is to her actual wedding band.

13. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Everything I know about that particular pipe manufacturer I learned from reading this thread, ;) so I got no info there but I do like how made the rings that's pretty awesome! The only other thing I can say is this; I've got pipes ranging in price from $7.95 to $100+ so if you like the way it looks and feels get a stem bro, worse case you don't like the smoke and you can sell it on ebay or make some cool rings!

14. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

I'm doing an old 1950s Kaywoodie that has the same bowl. Just got done filling the grain and I can't wait to finish it. It's even the same color as the bowl in your pic. I say do it! It'll be a great project and just because you can't smoke doesn't mean it can't sit an look pretty. Heck, I do that all day long!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.