1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone recommend a whiskey blend?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by oldworldpipes, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldworldpipes

oldworldpipes Member

Hi there. I have come across a whiskey blend that I really enjoy thus far (Uhles Old Shoe). What are some other good blends of this type? Or maybe rum based? I never had anything rum based but Old Shoe has this sort of buttered rum taste that I really enjoy.

It seems to be a nice change of pace or middle ground between aromatics and non.

2. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Mayor Ruff sent me some smokers pride whiskey a while back that I enjoyed very much.
    Unlike a lot of the guys here, I dont think much of the other SP offerings, but the whiskey was very nice.
    And at a dirt cheap price, I dont think you can go wrong.

kb7get likes this.
  3. ted

ted Member

PS Highland Whisky..t

4. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

H&H's Frenchy's Sunza Bitches. It's a bold virginia with Kentucky Bourbon topping.

5. oldworldpipes

oldworldpipes Member

Great thanks guys. Going to give these a go.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Players 'Whiskey'?
    OT

7. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

I don't know much about whiskey but if you want rum then we can talk. Try some Don Q. It's goes great with a pipe but it is got a little bit of a steep price. If you want a more reasonable priced rum try Zaya. Both are sweet and smooth. The Don Q more smooth and the price shows it.

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

...and they flavour tobacco with it??:confused:

9. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

McClelland's Stave 35 is a very nice Virginia with a stave from a barrel used for bourbon. The piece of wood is actually in the tin. It imparts a very nice aroma to the blend without making it bitey at all. It is a very flavorful blend and should get more mention here than it does.

DeusExMachina likes this.
  10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

seriously (honest!) - does it effect/mute the ketchup aroma?
    OT

11. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

12. oldworldpipes

oldworldpipes Member

I see it is on sale at P&C now. I am going to give it a shot. May be a good candidate to age as well.

13. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

I make my own starting with C&D's #525 - Red Virginia (from the Noggins man ;)), which is usually very dry already, and add to it whatever scotch whisky I have on hand. The last couple of batches have been with Glenlivet 12 yr only 'cause my local was selling it for $17.99 a 750ml bottle a while back and I stocked up. :D

I prefer it just like that but I imagine it'de be good with some turkish and maybe some unsweetened black cav added as well.

The whisky Red Va also is the base of a DIY Scottish mixture I smoke alot of...good stuff. :th1:

Huby Springer likes this.
  14. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

Biggles. Please tell how you do it and how it works out. Thanks

I likes me some Glenlivet:hbang:

15. northernsmoke

northernsmoke Member

Others on here who have tried it may be able to comment more than me, but I picked up a tin of Sutliff Top Shelf. Haven't had a chance to try it personally, but the reviews I read were generally positive "for those who love whisky", and I love whisk(e)y so I figure it should be good when I get around to it.

16. northernsmoke

northernsmoke Member

Had me a double of Glenlivet 15 today! :dkn:

17. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

C&d after hours flake, blockade runner,

18. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Sho 'nuff Springer (no offence but I'm not calling you Huby. :D). It's dead easy actually. Just put the bacca in a suitably sized tuperware type bowl and cover with a paper towel (or two or three) that's been dampened with the whisky then snap on the plastic lid. Give it a few days and if there's still some dry bacca at the bottom of the bowl then give it a toss, cover and wait a couple more days.

Works great and the C&D leaf really softens up nicely. Once I get it to where I like the hydration I keep it in a Mason jar - never had any problems with it going dry on me this way. :puffy:

19. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

Thanks Biggles. I am going to try this.

Far as Huby, it's short for Hubertus, which, thank God...is not my actual name :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.