1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Can anyone tell me something about this pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by insider193, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insider193

insider193 Member

Hi,
    I just got this pipe and was wondering if someone could tell me anything about it.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/20120704213710.jpg/

The only marking on it is on the side; Sport and on the front; Haparanda. Don't know whos it is but would really like to know. It's made of four main parts; you can screw loose the round bottom, stem, and bit.
    Since it's old and used I was thinking that I should clean it up a little bit. Any suggestions`?

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I can't tell you anything about it except that it is likely made of hardwood rather than briar.

3. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

Well, not sure about who made it. Haparanda is a city in Sweden. And looking at the grain, I would bet heavy it's not made of briar. But would be interesting to see how it smoked!

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Is that a mini wine pipe?

5. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Indeed, Haparanda is a city in Sweden, bordering to Finland at the very top of Gulf of Bothnia. Being a Swede, and originally from that general area, this is still a mystery to me. I have not heard of any pipe makers out of Haparanda. I'll do some searches and see what I can unearth.

I'm curious, where did you pick it up?

6. insider193

insider193 Member

Don't know that kind of model or anything about it. But as you've guessed it's most probably made of somekind of hardwood.
    I think the Haparanda mark is just some kind of advertisement, maybe the pipe is from some souvenit shop.. Haparanda isn't engraved as the sport-mark... What's a mini wine pipe?
    Got it when my girlfriends dead grandmothers house was beeing emptied, guess it belonged to her grandfather or something like that...

Have to get some supplies, then I'll start fixing it up and try it out.

7. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Looks like a Swedish design, like a Buyere(sp). It does have the grain of a hardwood.

8. Bob K

Bob K Member

Looks very Germanic or North European. Those round bits are a giveaway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.