1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Can I break in my new pipe with University Flake?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Hey everybody,

A quick question here... I got my new Savinelli Standing 624 KS Bulldog today and I was wondering if I can break it in using University Flake? I have a few flakes leftover in a tin and I was just going to finish them up!

Could this cause any sort of ghosting effect?

Thanks all,

Jomo

2. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Were it me, I would not hesitate.

3. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Heck why not? Beale.

5. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

I just got in "restored" Peterson Estates and I'm having the same quandary! Personally, I want to build my cake/walls with a fairly neutral product, since I plan on using them for different blends down the road. But in the package were also a few very interesting aromatics I'm itching to try... Oh, the pain of having to choose/wait!

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Break your pipe in with whatever toby that smokes to the bottom, clean, enjoyable, and last of all, DGT's well. Ya may have to set that young gurl down for a few minutes or so as she's a newb and not used to all the heat.

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Sure, Uni flake is a great tobacco, so why not? Although I must warn you: go slow and be gentle. I personally have this propensity to smoke flakes a little harder than I do ribbon cut or other types of tobacco. So just be gentle, enjoy the flake, and have fun!

8. Redone

Redone Member

I'm breaking in my Viking with Erinmore and McB Navy flake.

9. Duke

Duke Member

When breaking in a new pipe I would use your preferred choice or day to day tobacco. The breaking in process is more of a learning experience on how your new pipe works: how it behaves. And what better tobacco to use than your regular blend. Now, if you bought your pipe to smoke a specific style of tobacco English or Virginian than I would go with my favorite blend of that style. When breaking in a new pipe I smoke it for days, so I have to smoke a tobacco that satisfies me always. I heard mentioned people breaking in a pipe with a tobacco they normally don’t smoke, such as OTC Burleys, to help build a cake faster, huh? That’s the screwiest idea in my opinion. I bought a thrifty Chacom Canadian some time back to smoke primarily during golf. The pipe had more putty than a double-hung sash, yet favorably had no pre-treated bowl. Well I broke it in on the old Dunhill Light Flake for over a week. What resulted was this pipe became one of my favorite go-to pipes, even surpassing several of my premium pipes in smoking quality. Today this pipe is certainly not treated like a red-headed stepchild, but rather with a certain level of reverence.

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Absolutely!

11. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Okay that sounds like a plan then! But sadly I really don't have a favorite go to tobacco yet! I think its weird but I don't have a clue why I haven't found it yet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.