1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone ID this pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tudorp, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I'm not new to pipe collecting, but I am not that educated on specific pipes and brands. This is an old pipe that used to be my father's pipe. It may have even belonged to my grand father, not sure how far back it goes. But, it is one of my favorites to smoke. It has an insert that resembles a Kaywoodie drinkless stem in it, but different. Can anyone tell me anything about this pipe?

The only marking I have ever seen on it is "Italy" on the briar just before the stem. Any info someone can offer would be greatly appreciated.. God Bless..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Hmmmm, well the bowl shape and grain kind of look like a Savinelli Duca Carlo I have. And since it's stamped "Italy" that's a good start in that direction too. Although there are alot of great pipe makers in Italy, and the stem shape sort of differs from the stem I have on my Duca Carlos. Although you said it is very old so maybe they had a different stem style back then? Can't be 100% sure, but hope that at least is a start!

3. el guero

el guero Member

That stem almost looks like a custom job, never have seen something quite like that.

4. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I smoked this thing for years before I even knew the stinger came out of the stem. When I cleaned it, it always came out with the stem and I just thought it was all one piece with the "drinkless" piece pressed in. Then one day when I pulled it apart to clean it, I just stared at it wondering (what the heck?). I thought I broke my dad's old pipe, until I pulled it out of the body, and realized it was a separate piece. That was a good thing, because it did make it easier to clean. It all fits together very snug too, even as old as it is.. I've never seen another like it either. I would like to date it. I know my dad smoked it for as long as I could remember, it was one of his favorites, but not sure if he bought it new, if it was a gift to him sometime ago, or if it came from my grandpa. So, no clue how old it might be.

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Unfortuately, it's going to be impossible to tell much about the pipe, other than it was made in Italy. Millions of pipes didn't pass muster to be labeled by either by the manufacturer or whatever house label contracted the manufacturer to produce pipes for them. When this was the case, "Italy" was it.

The tenon is curious. Do you know if your father ever had the pipe worked on?

6. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

I really have no idea. My dad smoked pipes, but he was never really "into" them as far as collecting, and things like that. Pipes to dad was just a medium for his tobacco habit really. He had smoked cigaretts since he was 16 years old and was a heavy smoker all his life. I just remember him smoking his pipes when he came home from work relaxing. He rarely smoked them out of the house. He was also not the type to have a pipe worked on. If a pipe broke, or for some reason had issues, he would have just tossed it in a drawer or something, and got another. He had several in his chair side table we used to refer it as a "smoking table". It was a table by his chair that the top opened up in a butterfly fashion. In this table was his cigaretts, lighters, pipes and cleaning supplies and things. This was one of two that he generally smoked swapping between the two for as long as I can remember. I am in my 50's now, so that has been 40+ years ago that he has smoked this one. I remember it looking pretty old then, because he did have a couple others that looked shinny and new to me even then. But this one, and the other he smoked most the time always looked old and beat up to me as a kid, and I remember being the ones I loved the smells of.

So I would guess that this pipe has never had any work done to it. My grand father assuming it came from him was not a man of wealth. He was a poor share cropper from Alabama so odds of him having a pipe worked on would not be likely either, unless he did something to it to keep it in service in lue of the expense of a new one...

7. Tudorp

Tudorp Member

That said, the parts of this look well fit together like it was either a profesional thing, or factory like this. My father, and/or grand father if they fixed a broken pipe to keep it in service would not have been able to have repaired it with such precision and it would have been more of a utilitarian type of repair. So I am thinking this is the way the pipe was made..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.