1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Can this be repaired?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by davidmackv, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Jul 21, 2011
    It is a pipe that belonged to my Great Grandfather. I received it in this condition. My guess is he had it in his pocket and sat on it. Is there any repairing it to a functioning pipe or just leave it as it is?

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Duct tape? Sorry, its that self control thing. :moon:

On the serious side.......wow. I'll certainly be watching this thread.
  3. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Nov 8, 2012
    You might be able to fit a metal tube between the bowl and stummel, and glue the wood back with some kind of epoxy or wood glue. Out of my league though.
  4. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Galavanting Yorkshireman.

Jun 14, 2013
    Given the dynamic sorts which dwell on this here forum, I'd say anything is possible! Watch this space...
  5. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Jul 3, 2013
    You can maybe repair it. I doubt it will look right though. If I was going to do it, I'd use Gorilla glue and try and clamp it. Tough to do, probably turn out badly. Your best bet is to send a pic to Walker Briar Works and ask an expert.
    Mr Blandings likes this.
  6. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Aromatic Fart

Apr 1, 2012
    Being that it was your Great Granddads, I truly understand the value of this Kaywoodie. The metal tube would give the strongest fix, but since 2 different properties heat and expand at 2 different rates, not sure how long it would last. Boring it and inserting a briar dowel, then redrilling, would make it usable but not quite as strong. The draw back to that would be having to pay for a machine shop to take the time to do it. Very touchy work, and needs to be perfect to look right. Good luck!
  7. holymolar

holymolar Member

Nov 28, 2012
    I'd try the super duper superglue called Mxbon 105, if the pieces go back together reasonably well.
    It bonds just about anything and is much stronger than regular superglue. Bonds very fast, no clamping necessary.
    You'll probably have to order it on the internet.
    Or you can send the pipe to me and I'll give it a go, - and send it back to you, of course.
  8. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Sep 14, 2011
    I would try super glue or gorilla glue. I think that with the wood heating up throughout a smoke would melt or soften wood glue however.

Me personally, I would try super glue or gorilla glue......smoke it one time and then put it up in a place of honor amoung my pipes.
  9. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Nov 16, 2011
    I second the Gorilla Glue suggestion. I know I have used the Loctite Concrete epoxy before on many different surfaces as well and dries as hard as a rock and pretty sturdy to heat as well. Maybe mix some with pipe or cigar ash to blend the color a little better off the bat, some light cleaning and sanding and hopefully that bad boy can be brought back to fire breathing status!
  10. JoeSmall

JoeSmall Member

Apr 1, 2013
    That sux
  11. Mr Blandings

Mr Blandings If you ain't eatin' Wham, you ain't eatin' ham!

Jun 23, 2013
    That’s a heartbreaker. You may be able to repair with wood glue but I would say that it’s smoke-ability would be questionable. I’d leave it as a display only piece.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.