Can you help educate my TAD please?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Thom1000, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thom1000

Thom1000 Member

I've been browsing ol' 4noggins, and reading here, trying to work out what to put into my order!
    I want to try OGS, and have seen lots of mentions of FMOTT...
    And here's where I ask for you guys' words of wisdom!

I know I'd like to try them all, but for now, I want to try to 'educate' my n00b tongue on a good cross-section.
    If I haven't forgotten something, I guess I should try:
    Va, VaPer, Burley, latakia, and an aro maybe?

If you can recommend any particular blends that would help me pick out which flavours are which, that would be awesome.
    I have some PA, and access to be able to taste a few other things but not much.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to being schooled :P hehe

(I'm open to the idea of bulk, but since shipping/etc absorbs the few $ savings, the cost of a tin isn't really much different in the end (and they do store conveniently :P).)

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

You might enjoy a mild Virginia/Oriental mix. McClelland has a whole bunch of 'em, in the "Grand Orientals" line. It's a good way to become familiar with what each Oriental tastes like, and they're tasty. They're on this page at 4noggins.

3. Stan41

Stan41 Member

Cornell & Diehl Opening Night is a wonderful straight Virginia.

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Straight VA - McC 5100(Red Cake) bulk blend
    Burly - MacB NF or OGS (Va/Burley)
    Any of the FM line for English intro

5. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

My recommendations for good intro tobaccos in the following categories:

VA: McClelland 5100, GLP Union Square

VA/Per: PS Luxury Bullseye Flake

Aro: Lane 1-Q, Mac Baren Vanilla Flake

Burly: Mac Baren Navy Flake (a blend of both Burly and VA, but has a solid Burly taste)

English: Butera Pelican

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Sure...

Virginia- McClelland 5100
    Vaper- McClelland 2015
    English- McClelland 5110
    Burley- Mac Baren Burley London Blend or Golden Extra
    OTC Burley- Carter Hall or Prince Albert
    Aro- Lane RLP-6 or 1Q

All of the above are available as bulk blends except the OTCs. You can go online and order an oz or two of each if you like and it'll give you a taste of what's what.

7. erickghint

erickghint Member

It's a really hard thing to do, recommending blends. But I'll tell you a few of my favorites:

Virginia - GL Pease Union Square or SG Best Brown Flake
    Va/Burley - OGS, hands down.
    English - Any of the Frog Morton line, but On The Town is my favorite. The original has a bit more Latakia, and Across the Pond has a more subtle Latakia hit.
    Aromatic - Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal, Lane 1-Q or Peterson Sunset Breeze

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

A great intro to Va/Pers would be McClelland Frog Morton On The Bayou...delightful Perique spice, but not "in your face". I always recommend it to new smokers.

9. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Im an aro man so i cant really comment on all the others but for a good aro try some Dans Blue Note, Black Cordial, and as others have said Lane 1Q.

10. christopher

christopher Member

11. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Me too so I tend to lean to strong aros as any subtle flavors are lost on me. I think my taste buds are shot due to alcohol and chili!
    I would recommend Frog original though, it has a lot of smoke and a real decent flavor. FMATP I found to be a bit too gentle.
    Cheers Rolf.

12. Thom1000

Thom1000 Member

Wow thanks for the helpful replies!! It's exactly the kind of recommendations I was looking for.
    If I find a style I like, I now have a wealth of recommendations.

I want to try the types so I know what makes a Virginia taste like a Virginia, and so on. I'll definitely be taking this on board in my order, and will have a proper read when I get a chance later tonight.

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Good plan, man! I've found that distinguishing between how a Virginia and a Burley affect the blends is a good first step to developing the taste buds. Gives me a general idea on what to expect when I'm picking up a virginia-based aromatic v-v a burley-based aromatic, or a latakia-laced VA vs. a latakia-laced burley. Enjoy the discovery!

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

TobaccoReviews.com.....go do your homework!

Carve your virtual trail through thousands of tobaccos.

Everyones tastes are different and in general, tastes and prefs change.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

15. Thom1000

Thom1000 Member

Haha yeah... That's half the trouble, Puff... 1000s to choose from. I can probably find some I like on my own, but I want to know what people are talking about when they mention the Latakia or the perique tastes present.

Now I've got a selection to point me in the right direction, it will come down to a combination of further research (tobacco reviews here I come!) and what's actually available :P

Edit: Choosing is too hard. I am just gonna have to buy one of EVERYTHING. I'll have a lot of new friends, I bet!

16. Puff The Magic

It's extremely difficult to help someone out if they aren't willing to take any effort to help themselves beyond asking for "help".

Your bulk vs. Tin issue doesn't really hold water. Most etailers have "free" shipping with orders ~$100. Otherwise, shipping fees is the cost of getting it to you unless you can get it shipped cheaper. Even if you have a totally well stocked local B&M, the shipping costs are still way cheaper than what you'd have spent on the gas to get there and back.

Many etailers have sample packs for particular blends and specific types of toby. Have you given any of these a try? Have you looked?

Take some initiative in your schooling Thom.....afterall, part of schooling is doing your homework and from what you've posted, it does not appear as if you've done any at all.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

17. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Figuring out latakia vs perique isn't too difficult. IMHO, here are the milestones for educating one's taste buds:

- virginia vs burley
    - latakia vs perique
    - latakia vs turkish/orientals
    - cavendish

once you've got those down, you'll be ready for blends which contain:
    - latakia AND perique, or
    - latakia AND turkish/orientals

As always, be sure to enjoy the voyage!

18. Thom1000

Thom1000 Member

Thanks Dondi. I'l be sure tol keep that in mind while tasting them.

Ed, I forgot to mention at the start of the thread that I'm in Australia. As a result, unfortunately, cost is more of a factor.
    My local b&m's house blend sells for approx AUD$360/lb, and 2oz tins are in the order of AUD$50.
    So, even paying the $320+/kg duty + shipping, it works out cheaper than buying locally, and with greater variety. But pricey enough I'm going to be a bit picky.

The etailers that I have found that ship internationally seem to be in the $30-50 range for postage, and some higher, depending on order size.

I have looked at the sample packs offered by many places, and while they have enticed me, they are mostly specific-themed sample packs, and I have not seen one yet with the range of 'types' I'm curious about.

If shipping and duty weren't so high, I would've already ordered a bunch to try, because I've seen the 'free shipping' deals, but they're only stateside ones that I've found so far. 

I've done a lot of reading, and have the logistics side covered as best as I can, but without a bit of a prod in the right direction, I'm worried I'd have a selection that overlapped significantly, or I'd miss out on something entirely. (Not a huge drama, I know)

I have a draft of a list I've been adding to, and researching, after some of the replies here, but haven't finalized it (subject to further review, and etailer availability) yet. 

Perhaps I should've said more in the first post, but I didn't.
    Sorry if I rambled a bit there, it's well past my time for bed.

19. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Try the C&D Website, you can get 1 ounce samples... http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/alphalist.html

Most assuredly, they have every type of blend you would need to educate your TAD... aromatics, balkans, orientals, etc. etc.! You will need to call them to place your first order, so if you intend to do so, I suggest you email them first with a list of what you're looking for. And the list can be as diverse as you want it to be, no need to worry about "themes"!

Here's an example of what they did for me... http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/i...d-care-package/page__view__findpost__p__60434

20. Puff The Magic

Cool! It does appear as if you've been doing a great amount of homework! Believe it or not, so am I. I've worked my way through about 150 blends of the 4k-plus out there and the guidance you've received above is pretty much what I've found to be true or at least agreeable "according to Puff".

As for va: SG FVF or SG BBF

For burley: Solani ABF, C&D Vintage Burley Flakes (1 thru 4....depending on what other toby you want with your burley)

Va-Bur blend: Orlik OGS

Orientals: McClellands Grand Orientals (they're all good)

Latakias: different types here. Syrian (more rare/limited) is sweeter overall whereas Cyprian tends to be smokier. McClellands C.O.R.P.S. Ringlow Syrian, 3 oaks Syrian, Tudor Castle

Hope this helps Thom and Welcome!

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.