1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you help educate my TAD please?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Thom1000, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Thom, I'm essentially in the same boat as yourself as well as being in the same country and I asked a very similar question the other week in this thread My link there maybe some other suggestions in there. I'd also be happy to answer any questions about the blends I ended up grabbing. However a word of warning the thread got derailed in the end due to my search for 'pungent smokiness'. :groucho:

In respect of buying bulk/loose/bagged blends vs tins I may be paranoid however if it is in tins I feel that it may be easier to get through customs especially if the package is marked ‘collectable advertising tins’. Bags of loose tobacco would be more likley to raise an eyebrow I imagine. Check this out for lucky My link the customs guy must have been a pipe smoker :roflmao:
  2. Thom1000

Thom1000 Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks again! I will have a look there after I fill this current spate of curiosity. I'm very impressed with your 'care package', and have a feeling I will be investigating further later.

150 hey... Only, um, about 30+ times what I have tried so far... yeah :P I'll catch up soon?
    And thanks for your suggestions. I had initially forgotten about the 'english', and 'orientals', (although va-bur OGS has been on my to-get list for ages, from the continual forum buzz).

Wow. Yes, very lucky. I'm rapidly accumulating a list of blends to research, but if I have questions about those blends you got, I'll shoot you a PM.

I'm getting the idea that I will need an impressions-diary, to keep track of what I think of each blend.

I keep accidentally being busier than expected, so I have not had a spare hour to sit down (during "reasonable hours", that is) to sift through this. When I have shortlisted it, I will post a list.
    Currently I expect that it will have a Frog Morton and some OGS, but everything else is in the works.
  3. commonsenseman

commonsenseman Member

Jul 16, 2010
    VA - Marlin Flake, Full Virginia Flake
    Dark VA - Irish Flake, Bracken Flake, Dark Birdseye
    VA/Bur - Stonehaven, Peterson's Perfect Plug, Orlik Golden Sliced
    VA/Per - Luxury Navy Flake, Anniversary Kake
    Burley - Aged Burley Flake
    OTC Burley - Velvet, Half & Half, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, & many more.
    Latakia - Westminster, Spilman's Mixture
    Aromatic - Luxury Twist Flake, SG Chocolate Flake

I added a few categories that I consider important as well.
  4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Oh and how could I forget:

Va-Bur-Per: Reiner LGF

Another stellar Va: McCranie's Red Flake & Red Ribbon

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.