1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Can you recommend me this pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Ozzie, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

I am more of a meerschaum/corn cob type of person, so I literally know almost nothing about briar pipes, except for one Dr. Grabow that I have. I have been thinking about adding one nice briar to my rotation, but I'm not sure which brands I should really be looking at. I did find this one nice Peterson bulldog that I like. Do you recommend this maker? Should I look at another? Here is the pipe I saw online...it's about the same price as another meerschaum pipe, so I want to make sure I don't blow the money on this unless it is really worth it.

[​IMG]

2. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

I have a few Peterson's and I will be honest with you, they aren't my best smokers, however, they are up there with the good ones, for sure. Since you said you have a Dr. Grabow, I presume that you know that smoking a briar is a lot different than a meer... so it can't be guaranteed that you'll like this pipe as much as your meers. I have two Peterson 'Aran' pipes and they both smoke great. Other brands I could recommend you are Stanwell, Vauen, and Brebbia. In my opinion, those which I just mentioned are a step above Peterson, as far as fit and finish is concerned. Let us know what you get!!!!

3. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

Petersons are fine smokers. I say go right ahead, pal! Briars require a lengthy break in though, in the end, its all worth it!

4. SimplyNate

SimplyNate Member

Only Peterson I have is the Churchwarden in my avatar. It's well made and smokes nicely so no complaints.

Vaquero likes this.
  5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I really enjoy my Petersons, I also think they have a little longer break in period than some other manufacturers for some reason, but they're built like tanks. That shape has a pretty stout stem for a bulldog, but is a nice classic shape. I havea very similar one in a St. Patty's 2008:
    [​IMG]
    I really like the pipe, but for some reason I prefer the P-lip on a bent pipe. I wish this one was a fishtail. Probably my favorite Pete bulldog is the 80s (center):
    [​IMG]
    Long story short, If you like a pipe with thicker lines, you'll love that one. Take your time breaking it in and it will be around for your grandkid one day!

6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Love the Pete dogs. Probably pick up another one some day - hopefully a fancy one like Wrightwood John has.

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nice pipe! In the Peterson line I think the 999 shape is awesome!

Jussto likes this.
  8. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Isn't that a Rhodesian instead of a bulldog?:poke:

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Yes it is but it's my favorite shape! :ohyh:

Jussto likes this.
  10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

They are on my PAD short list!

cobbsmoker likes this.
  11. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

12. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I enjoy the Petes in my small collection. The thick shank is a Pete trademark - most every Pete uses a heavier shank for the bowl size than most any other maker. I like that on their bulldogs.

13. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Old Codger and Professor like this.
  14. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

I enjoy my Petersons very much. The bent version of this pipe is the 80s of which I have a few and they get smoked daily.

15. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

That pipe looks like a Baker Street from their Sherlock Holmes series. It is an excellent series. Regarding the comments about Peterson not being as good as Stanwell or Brebbia, I strongly disagree. Peterson has pipes in many price ranges. Once you go over $150 they are usually excellent. I have never had a Danish Stanwell that was as good as my Petersons, and now that Stanwells are made in Italy they are not very good. I had 1 Brebbia, one of their more expensive pipes, and it turned out to be varnished, rather than the usual stain & wax. I sold it. I think you should get the Peterson pipe.

Vaquero and Old Codger like this.
  16. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

I highly recommend any Peterson :D

user2725 and Old Codger like this.
  17. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I have 2 Petes in my rotation. I love em.

user2725 and OldSouled65 like this.
  18. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Never owned a Peterson. Not in any hurry for one, either. People seem to like them though. Good luck either way. You can't beat a good Meer, either.

user2725 likes this.
  19. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

It's all personal experience; in reality it is the individual pipe which is either good or bad or in between, not a series or style or whatever. That's why there are plenty of people who love their Kaywoodies better than their Dunhills. I love Petersons, I have a few of them and plan on getting more. But they aren't the only good pipe in their price range. As far as the other brands, I mentioned fit and finish, not smokeability (which is what matters anyways) because both of my Peterson's have more than their fair share of fills. And Jussto, it's all yours buddy, my wife has my credit card hidden and locked away somewhere!! ;)

Jussto likes this.
  20. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Buy it. Peterson has a good reputation and if you end up not liking it, you can always sell it and make some (if not most) of your money back!

OldSouled65 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.