Canadian tobacco store (online or B&M)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BourrePipe, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BourrePipe

BourrePipe New Member

I'm looking for good reputable store in Canada preferably in the East that do mail order with a good assortment. it would also be nice to do a list of store in big cities if it asn't already been done. I'm still looking for a Penzance retailer in canada, if you have one please let me know.

I could start with two stores in Montreal
    -Pat & Robert tabagie on Ontario street good assortment pipe tobacco (lot of sam gawith and peterson)
    -Blatter & Blatter on President kennedy (maƮtre pipier) great assortment of tobacco own blend of tobaccos and excellent pipes made on location.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

As far as I can tell, it's more or less illegal to mail tobacco inter-provincially. Tobacco is provincially taxed as well as federally taxed, so mail order province-to-province is frowned upon or outright illegal.

Strangely enough, it is no problem to order from the USA. Tobacco will be taxed as it comes through customs, but you'll pay far less this way than by purchasing from a Canadian store.

Anybody with any clever ideas about avoiding tobacco taxes can just save me the trouble of deleting their posts, and not post 'em!

Anyhow, getting tobacco from Smokingpipes.com and 4noggins.com is as easy as pie. Rich at 4noggins is especially helpful, and it's always nice to deal with a mom'n'pop operation.

3. BourrePipe

BourrePipe New Member

Well than, just read the tobacco act, and it seem clear that no retailer can sell to consumer of another province. This just make it more meanfull to post the best store by provinces. Anybody got suggestions.

Rob

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

EDIT: wrote this without seeing Rob's previous.

Well, I'm not a tax lawyer, but Ontario doesn't want you smoking tobacco in Ontario that wasn't taxed by.... Ontario. So for example, I'll cite the Alberta Tobacco Tax Act, look at section 3.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/stat/rsa-2000-c-t-4/latest/rsa-2000-c-t-4.html

It clearly states that anything you bring into the province, you have to remit for, and if you aren't doing that, you are breaking the Act. So essentially, what I'm saying, is that to legally buy tobacco from Alberta, ship it to Ontario, and pick it up, you'd pay both Alberta taxes and Ontario taxes, and let's face it, that's damn silly.

What's more, there basically aren't any shops doing mail order out here, because our tax rates are about 50% higher than out east. So a 50g tin of Penzance is gonna cost you about 40 bucks from a shop here.

It's far easier and far more economical, never mind the intricacies of the tax acts, to order from a non-Canadian vendor, pay the tax assessed at the border, and get the stuff cheaper, easier, and in fact perfectly legally.

5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Dang, I wondered why I pay more in Vancouver than Quebec . Arrrgh.

As of this month I'm going to start ordering everything from 4noggins. With sales tax, most of my favourite blends are in the 40 dollar range. Sucks big.

6. BourrePipe

BourrePipe New Member

In Quebec a 50g tin is 20-25$. The same tin selling for 10$ in the states. I didn't know the situation on the west coast was even worst. Sorry to hear that MacNutz. I think you'll be pleasantly surprise with the service of 4noggins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.