1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Canning and Labeling Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

The wife is off doing volunteer work and I'm at home w/the kids. I thought it a good time to do some tobacco canning. I recently found a good deal on a dozen Ball wide mouth jars, so snapped them up. I opened up several tins I've never tried before and swapped zip locks for jars on others.

I don't know if it's from years of being an organizational freak at work, or if my mom dropped me when I was young, but I like trying to match the font/colors of the tin labels too.

Left cabinet Row 1:
    [​IMG]

Row 2
    [​IMG]

Added some baby food jars too/row 3
    [​IMG]

I peel the labels off the tins when I can and stick them to my jars
    [​IMG]

Labels were made from standard Avery mailing & shipping.

Ol Brokedik and Wicklow like this.
  2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Very nice! This could be a new MTV show like Pimp my Ride.... Brad's Pimp my Tobacco Cellar! -David

HCraven likes this.
  3. Master Chief

Master Chief Member

I've been doing basically the same thing, just not nearly as OD as you :byg:

4. BradNTX

If someone would produce the show, I'd be happy to fly around and pimp cellars! :ohyh:

I... I... I just can't help myself. :oops:

I was happy to find out that 8oz of toby fits in a wide mouth canning jar! Now I need to fill the rest of my TAD list, and be in cellar heaven. :)

5. akohtz

akohtz Member

For me, I put the label on the tin lid rather than on the jar itself. The lid gets thrown away and the jar can get re-used. That way I'm not trying to remove an old label from a jar so I can put something else in it.

- Andrew

6. BradNTX

The labels I use don't have that strong of an adhesive. It's easy for me to see from the front and they aren't difficult to peal off.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I would think that a bath in a pot of boiling water (or maybe a trip through the dishwasher) would loosen any residual adhesive in any event.

8. WillH

WillH Active Member

Pathetic! Looking at all that organization makes me feel like a slob! :(

Will

9. akohtz

akohtz Member

I'm like that though ... It just means the time to clean up the jar for the next use is that much less = good for me.

However, I'm only using the mason jars for storage and not what I've open and currently smoking. I guess that I don't feel the need to label the front of them when I'm just keeping them in a big organizer tub tucked away.

The items that are currently open are in emma jars and they have labels on the front. Although, again, I didn't want to have to pull off a sticker from the front of each Emma jar every time I change out the contents. I took clear packing tape and slapped a clear plastic label sleeve on the front. I write the name of the tobacco on a paper and slide it in behind the plastic label sleeve. Makes changing labels on those simple.

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I leave my jars in the flats they came in.

I cut the plastic wrapper along the front of the flat so I can access the jars and then pull the plastic wrapper back over the entire flat to act as a dust-cover for my cellar'd leaf.

I use the original label/sticker for the top label (cut to fit) and try to include all of the blender's information that came on the label (description of the leaf within) so it's a ready and accurate reference.

The dates on the tin and tin "opened" dates are also on my jars as well. If the tin has a "sticker date" then that sticker gets placed on the jar's bottom.

Also label whether the leaf was from bulk, tin, or gifted and from whom.

I guess I'll have to get a pic of my flats, quite impressive I must say........

Ed
    Puff

P.S. I guess it's my "anal-Operating Room Nurse" side of me shining through....... :)

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Is there an emoticon for extreme jealousy?

12. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Great job! Your next challenge will be to keep those jars full.

OBD.

13. BradNTX

I do have a TAD list... but will need more jars. I can't reach the top rows, so use them for bulk storage. I may need to start a back row... :)

14. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Dang. Way too much effort for me. I just write on the lid with a Sharpie what is in the jar and what date I jarred it.

Rewster66 likes this.
  15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

That's cool too Glenn! That's still cellarin'. I just like the colors.........:)

Actually one cellarin' session, I looked at all of the tins and bags that were all empty and figured I could reuse some of the tins for something else and then thought to reuse the labels to label said leaf now in jars. Besides, it makes locating certain leaf. Way easier than all of the jar lids being just written w/Sharpie. Quick identification and all of the proprietary info is still with the leaf, so if I want to reference age/ingredients/comparisons/etc. I can. At my fingertips with each jar. Yeah, my madness is quite anal I know.

Ed
    Puff

16. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Wow! and i thought I was organized because I mark the top of my ball jars with a sharpie...of course, then I have to go through each one (stored in my desk drawer) to find the one I want to smoke...okay, maybe I didn't really think I was that organized...and maybe I really need to make a pipe cabinet....
    Cool idea, Brad!

17. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Classic case of - O.C.D.!:sh:

18. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I usually grab a jpg picture off the net of the tobacco tin, resize it, print it, and tape it on the lid.
    The bulks that usually do not have pictures, I copy and paste the name and description from the website, and tape that around the glass jar part.
    Maybe later I can take some pictures to show examples.

BradNTX likes this.
  19. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Great idea about pulling images from the net. I have an all-in-one printer, so I've been scanning the tin labels for the day I "get around to" cellaring.

20. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I did tin scanning at first also, but sometimes the scans did not come out that well and jpg's (for me) were easier to resize and tweak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.