1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Can't Catch A Break (Ebay)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Rugbysh9, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wataru

wataru Member

Ive yet to bid on any pipes or tobacco, because I will admit, I do not like bidding on eBay. If Buy It Now! Isnt an option, I usually pass it by.

I was bidding on this customer Cameron figure based on the Terminator The Sarah Conner Chronicles character. It got upto $50 and it was like 1a so I went to bed. I woke up and lost by FIFTY CENTS! I was livid. I bid $75 to cover any nigglers, he bid $75.50 ARGH!!!

My last eBay purchase was the hood scoop for my Mustang and was advertised as brand new after market. It arrived, was resealed (apparently someone returned it) and was missing pieces that basically made it junk. Since GT hood scoops that bolt on are $700 from Ford, $150+ at junk yards..I figured this $85 scoop might be worth saving by having my body shop supply replacement parts (3 clips and the seal) - which they did. I emailed the seller for a $20 discount. They refused and Im still waiting on eBay to help... :bangin:

Now if I see an auction for a briar cavalier pipe with a nice large bowl that isnt $150, Id bid on that.

Buy It Now! is your friend.

2. Rider

Rider Member

damn.............i knew there was a reason....... [​IMG]

3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I quit fooling with Ebay because of all the sniping programs. Last time I bid, a few years ago, was on a Castello OomPaul. A sniper got it, but at least I drove him up over retail.

4. ddandb

ddandb Member

A lot of people get upset when they see that they only lost by 50 cents.
    You place a nice bid, think you have it, and bam, at the last few seconds, you lose.

Keep this in mind though. You don't know how much the snipers bid was. It may have been $10 0r $20 over your bid. Ebay just bids up to the minimum amount of his total.
    So yes, he may have got it for 50 cents over you, but for you to have stayed in the game you would have to have paid a lot more money.

For example: You are willing to spend $50 on a pipe. You've decided before hand that's all it is worth to you. The Sniper sets his snipe to $70.
    So yes, he gets it at $50.50 and it looks like you lost by only 50 cents, but actually you would have to have paid $70.50 to win it.

That's the way I look at it and it makes me feel batter anyway.

5. cst

cst Member

Ddandb, is that sniping? Not arguing, I am asking out of ignorance. If it is, then I guess I am a sniper. I just thought that was the way it was done. Either way, setting your max bid is a good way to keep in your budget.

Does 4noggins carry the brown ones? I wanna get one of those. I kinda want a bent one, too. Maybe a brown bent one. One of he ones I got the stem is fairly well seperated, I was thinking I might get the torch out and make a homespun full twist shillelagh. Of course, it'll prolly end up breaking halfway through bit what the hell. This paricular one looked fair in the pics bit when I got it it looked liked some tried to clean their barbeque grill with it.

6. ddandb

ddandb Member

If you're coming in at that last few seconds then that's sniping. Done all time. It's a part of Ebay

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

My ebay luck changed over the weekend. First, I picked up three very nice estate pipes for less than $30 from an excellent seller/restorer using "Buy it Now". Then I won a restored W.O. Larson Canadian estate that's in shipment. I placed a bid on the Larson about 15 minutes from the end. In the last two minutes someone bid me up to $44 but I entered a max bid closer to $50 in the last 10-20 seconds. I don't ebay much, and usually not for hot commodities like "collectors" pipes, so it took me a bit to learn to watch the auction like a hawk for the last few minutes.

As for the Princet briar and the Kaywoodie Canadian, it seems I found a sleeper. For $21, how can you go wrong?

Bri2k

8. cst

cst Member

Well, I feel pretty good about that then. I never set out to bid in the last few seconds, I usually bid in the last few minutes :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.