1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

CAO Bella Vanilla? best Vanilla?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jkimnw, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkimnw

jkimnw New Member

Hi Everyone. I'm new here, first post. I've been smoking pipes and lurking on the forums here for a couple of months now. Currently, I'm smoking mostly aromatics as I'm in it for the smell just as much as the flavor. I've tried a number of different aromatics and have probably enjoyed Dan's Blue Note the best recently. The house vanilla blend of the tobacconist I go to is pretty good too. I'm in Spokane, WA so my tobacconist is Tobacco World - the Danish Vanilla is what I've tried.

I decided to venture out a bit and try out a different vanilla blend (currently on a mission to find the best vanilla one) and bought a tin of CAO Bella Vanilla. In comparison to the bulk house blend, it's relatively dry and somewhat flavorless. I also get a Pine-Sol-ish kind of flavor out of it that was somewhat unexpected. Is this normal? or did I get a bum tin? The room/pipe note is pleasant, so I'll continue to smoke it for now. Can I case it myself with some vanilla extract?

I've also been wanting to try out Dan's Honeydew Vanilla since the Blue Note was so good, but can't seem to find it in any of the shops in town (or in state for that matter). Shipping tobacco in Washington state is illegal :velho: so that makes things a bit difficult to get a hold of.

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Nice of the bastages to let you post here, though. :yes:

Lotsa fans of Blue Note here. And then there are a few stick-in-the-muds, too. i will not name names.

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

If you like vanilla blends, the best there is IMHO is MacBaron's Vanilla Creme and it is easy to find. I love the stuff.

4. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

ask your local shop for some bulk VBC from McClelland - they may keep it under their own name, but they'll know what it is.
    Vanilla Black Cavendish with a pretty good dose of vanilla. You could even use it to mix with the CAO.

5. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

+1

6. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

+2 here, MB Vanilla Cream is one of the best vanilla tobacco out there,been smoking this for 20yrs.But smoke it very slowly. :thumbsu:
    Badcompany.

7. kirbyb

kirbyb Member

Try CAO Moontrance, it has Vanilla as well as some other stuff. I am decidedly NOT an aro smoker, but this one works for me when I know I have to smike something that smells good to the masses.

8. jkimnw

jkimnw New Member

OK, so it looks like I'm looking for some Vanilla cream then :thumbsu:

So the CAO is just not that great of a smoke then?

9. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Don't misunderstand these guys... the CAO Bella Vanilla is a pretty good vanilla tobacco. In fact, it happens to be my favorite over a lot of what these other guys are saying. To each their own, right?

10. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

to each there own is correct - I haven't tried CAO yet, but I want to.
    I just didn't like MacB. Vanilla very much, maybe I just got a bad tin, I was let down after hearing so much, but with that in mind, wasn't completely turned off.
    VBC is awesome tho'
    I have been smoking two blends from tinderbox that are very vanilla-ish
    Black Russian and Midnight. I dont know if you have a tinderbox in spokane, but from what I understand there is one in Tacoma.
    I dunno if you like TB or not, but i enjoy it. We have two in memphis , and both of them have a pretty knowledgable staff, and both have good selections for the most part.
    The Black Russian gives off hints of Vanilla as well as Chocolate, so it might not be your thing.
    The Midnight, is a mild tobacco, with a vanilla-ish taste to it.
    Both very good' .. Good luck on your hunt for Good vanilla tobacco, lemme know if you find something.

11. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

First, Welcome!

Now, how long has your tin of BV been open? I have a tin open currently that I found pretty over the top upon opening. A few weeks later and it has settled down some. Of course, if you are looking to add more vanilla to it, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. (I want it to be less 'flavored' by the vanilla.) Oh, have you smoked a straight Virginia tobac yet? I don't catch a 'Pine-Soley' taste, but maybe it's the way VA tobacco's taste to you? As far as other recommendations go, the guys above won't steer you wrong.

-Kyle

12. jkimnw

jkimnw New Member

I smoked my first bowl as soon as I opened the tin.

I'm beginning to read a little bit more about cob pipes and such - do aromatics smoke better in briar than cobs? Perhaps the cob is doing too good of a job of absorbing the moisture and taking the casing along with it.

13. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Cobs are recommended because they smoke cool(usually), impart no added 'flavors' to a particular tobacco, and can essentially be abused without undue financial strain....(they is cheap!). Yes, they absorb moisture to an extent, however, I doubt your particular, um, 'issue', has to do with cob vs. briar. There are like a billion 'baccy's out there....sometimes one that sounds divine on paper, smells like butt in your pipe! Part of the fun/consternation...is figuring out what you like, or not! Sorry if this isn't a simple answer, but it's one we all deal with! If you can spare the change, try Strongirish's suggestion...sometimes a minor 'bacco change can mean all the difference.

Also check the FOG/FNG thread here...a whole new world may open up for you.

-Kyle

14. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

+1 on the Moontrance. Loved the cigar and then loved the pipe tobacco!
    If you want vanilla then you have to try Planta Vanilla Flake!!!!
    If you can't find it, they also make a vanilla mixture.

PS: To all, if you are looking for Blue Note, PM ME!!!!!

15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Dan Tobaccos are often hard to find because they are out of Germany. If you develop a taste for one and see it in a store, stock up when you can! I love Hamborger Veermaster, so if I see a tin I grab it.

That said, if you tobacconist sells Dan tobacco, I'm sure he can order you whatever you want. I had my local order my last batch of HV. It took 6 weeks, but it was worth the wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.