Capstan and Three Nuns Discontinued

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JimInks, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I haven't ever tried Three Nuns, but I really would like to, as I know it was one of the blends my grandfather smoked (I found an old tin in his toolbox at the cottage that he used for nails). I don't have too many memories of blends he smoked, but in this case I would love to load his big old Brigham with a few coins of Three Nuns and share the same experience he once had. Of course, I'm going to give PH Curly a try, just in case :D

WalkinStick likes this.
  2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

You'll have to add perique to the PH Curly, and even then, it's not quite the same; about 60% of the way. Hold on; maybe we'll get the real thing with perique!!

Thuber88 and jdto like this.
  3. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

JD, Mysmoking shop still has some 3 nuns available in the uk.

jdto likes this.
  4. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Is it in tin or a pouch? They are very different blends. The pouch version has perique, but is shredded in bits. I was not fond of it, having had the tin VaPer version to compare it to.

David Emond and Thuber88 like this.
  5. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Yeah its a 50g pouch.

6. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I just picked up a 100g tin of Three Nuns from the 90's in terrific shape from Ebay. Yes, I paid a small fortune for it, but it was for my dear RuffinoGold for his Birthday, which isn't until June, so maybe it's for Father's Day, which also isn't until June. Well, I gave it to him anyway, and he totally flipped out. That was worth any amount imho. The joy on his face was priceless. It's quite tasty too.
    I'm not bragging here, just saying, if you're willing to spend a lot of money for the old stuff, watch ebay very closely. :D

JimInks, jdto and Thuber88 like this.
  7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Twenty/thirty years back I smoked a lot of Three Nuns - the 'Empire' blend too, (same cut, but leaf from a different source) the stuff being foisted under that name in most tobacconists, and indeed some supermarkets over here bears little resemblance, and for me at least is not worth bothering with, when so many superior alternatives are easily available from the same sources. The same applies to the pouches of Capstan sold in the UK - I remember a small rectangular tin, with neat broad flakes - very much like MacBaren VA flake, but the modern ready rubbed stuff.....words fail me! - give me G&H Bright CR flake any day!
    OT

JimInks, Thuber88, jdto and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.