1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Capt. Black (white)

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Krash670, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash670

Krash670 New Member

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm new to the forum and not very forum savvy. Can anyone tell me which Lane Limited tobacco is Capt. Black in the white package? I know they make the Capt. Black I just want to buy in bulk as opposed to a small 1 1/2 oz. package or large tin. If I could find out what they sell it as under their bulk name I can just order a 5 lbs. bag from my local shop. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Lane's RLP-6 is generally thought of as the bulk equivilent of CBW. 1Q is said to be the bulk equivilent of Captain Black Royal. Buy a few ounces to try first before you buy 5# of it.

3. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

You can get bulk Captain Black white/regular at the link below (the bottom of the page). I ordered bulk of a different blend from them (Benjamin Hartwell Evening Stroll) and it was identical to the stuff that comes in a tin. As Glenn said though...I'd order a few ounces (or maybe a pound...to make the shipping worth it) and try it out to make sure that you like it before ordering five pounds of it.. Some people notice differences between bulk and tinned versions of the identical blend (I can't say that I'm one of them...so far).

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=F&srch=DF&tier2=107

Another thing...are you new to pipe smoking? Unless that's something that you've been smoking for years, I would not advise dropping $100+ on one blend. It's common for people to change their mind on what blends they like from time to time. Just my $.02...

4. Krash670

Krash670 New Member

Thanks for the info. No, I'm not new to it. Been smoking one on/off for 20+ years. That's the one I've settled on over the last few years though. I like that it's very mellow, and doesn't burn too hot. I worked at a Tinder Box years ago just after college, and started on the Dunhill 1Q (Willshire) back then. But after a few years it just didn't do it for me anymore. I really like the Frog Morton blends, but that's just too much $$$ for me. So CBW is it. I'll give the RLP-6 a try and see if I can see a difference or not. Most likely not. I'm just not that refined.:)

Ursa and bubbagump like this.
  5. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I just got an email from PipesandCigars.com and they are running a special on Lane, Captain Black and a couple others. 15% off on bulk blends. For whatever that is worth.

Krash670 likes this.
  6. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I've bought CBW bulk from pipesandcigars and it is just like the OTC version, at least to my taste. You can't beat the bulk price, $80 for 5 pounds, regular price.

http://pipesandcigars.com/cablrebutoby.html

Krash670 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.