Captain Black Gold

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Once again, I receive a pouch of this from a well-meaning but non-pipe educated person.

Once again, I smoked a bowl of it. Bland, but inoffensive.

Once again, I mixed the rest of it 70/30 with C&D's "Kelly's Coin" and got a very nice blend.

I'm telling you, a strong burley (Five Brothers should work as well as KC) can solve many ills. The KC soaked up the excess goop and added a nice tobacco taste, as well as some serious nicotine. This mix is something I could smoke all day, if I wanted... but thank God I don't wanna! :D

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

But have your tried Kelly's Coin and Paladin? :ngty:

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Mixing lime juice with castor oil don't make a margarita, son.

Arkie, ATXPipe, Ted Vig and 2 others like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Not yet but that's a 95/5 split, guaranteed! :ohyh:

Rewster66 likes this.
  5. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Just wanted to post before someone says that if Captain Black was all that there is they wouldn't smoke....

It shouldn't take long

RTOdhner likes this.
  6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The sad part about CB products is that goop. If they just cut it by 25%, they'd have a quite passable blend.

7. RTOdhner

I think that you're right, and we might just think that $20 for a pouch isn't too bad of a price... which is a good part of the reason why I'm building a pipe tobacco cellar/vault.

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I'd like to see this "goop" everyone talks about with CB blends, I smoke them on occasion and have NEVER had a goopy pouch of Captain Black and I just bought a pouch last week, smokes to a dry grey ash straight from the pouch... where's the goop?

ruffinogold, Darkly and colorduke like this.
  9. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

You have to turn your nose up a lot more when you smoke. And instead of happy thoughts like in Peter Pan, you need thoughts of your superiority.

Then like magic, it turns to goop.

jdto, Darkly, Ted Vig and 2 others like this.
  10. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I have smoked a few can's of the Capt and never saw the goop everyone bitches about,are you guys sure your Capt isn't green your smoking?

cobbsmoker likes this.
  11. RTOdhner

Sticky stuff. It's been in every pouch I've ever smoked. Very pronounced in the Gold, pretty prevalent in the White, and less prevalent in the Blue. It's like the PG (which is in just about all of the OTC's) doesn't mix well with the flavoring agent, and creates a sticky coating on the tobacco. The only thing that I've seen that is close is the sticky stuff that covers Altadis Tobacco Galaria tobaccos (and it's far worse on those).

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Damn, I find pouches around here on the dry side and when I do get a fresh pouch it seems to dry out pretty quick, when I get to Shreveport, LA I'll drive over to Longview, TX and see what kind of CBW they're sending ya'll... :laff:

13. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Your pouches might be aged. Every one I've gotten has been a little sticky, until I let it air out in a hot car. Then it was much better.

14. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Nah, I've got a local store that has fresh pouches and they are never sticky, moist and fresh yes, sticky no!

15. RTOdhner

The kind of pouches running $9USD a pop... no, I'm not making that up. The truth is that my views on Captain Black products are based on memory, since it's been a few years since I tried any - I'm not willing to go $9USD for a pouch of OTC. (At least not while I still have other options open to me).

16. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Maybe moist pouches become sticky with age and that's what we got? Mine are never super sticky, just moister than I like. I meant it about airing out. It helped my pouches a lot.

17. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Ive never had a problem with CB "goop".. I mean, when I first started smoking cbw, and I was smoking it like the pipe was gonna run away from me.. the bowl would get a little wet, but once I learned to slow down.. It stopped *shrugs* Never had a goopy bowl after CBR either.. Unfortunately I haven't tried CBG, and at what they charge for a pouch of the stuff here anymore? I'll likely not get to. Lane works just as good for me.. and it's cheaper.

18. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I'm not saying its bad stuff. I've sure smoked plenty of it. Good is good, I think I prefer white or blue.

Darkly likes this.
  19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I have the answer , Cob . Those guys that get the " Goop " mainly smoke other stuff and when they taste an Aromatic and realize it tastes great .... they just get over excited ... and puff like theres no tomorrow . When it gets goopy , they blame it on the aromatic and post how crappy aros are . With alittle restraint and practise , they'll get it . :)

Morse, cobbsmoker, Rewster66 and 2 others like this.
  20. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Nice one :rofl:

Johnny Dingo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.