1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Captain Black harsh on the throat?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jomodeere, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Hey all,
    As you all know I've been smoking for about 2 months now and expanding my palate. Well today I smoked a bowl of CBW and about halfway through the bowl it just started getting harsh and heavy on my throat. Anybody else with this problem?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I can't remember having that problem with CBW, but I've had that happen with other blends. I usually take it as a sign I've been smoking too much and too fast, so I grab a cold drink and wait until my throat feels better before lighting up another pipe.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

For me it's just a sign the blend has burley in it.

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I never had that half-bowl problem. But I never got through more than a quarter of a bowl of Captain Black, either.

6. Major

Major Member

arggh. who put CB in my pouch !!! :suicide:

You're not the first person to have that issue with CB. Try something a little less tainted with toluene and paint esters :stunned: Get some Prince Albert or Carter Hall. You might even be midley allergic to the Captain.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

+1. I was thinking that but didn't want to offend the legions of CBW/G lovers of whom, it appears, there are millions.

8. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

CBW was the first pipe tobacco I bought. I think I smoked about 4-5 bowls and finally tossed it in the bin. I don't remember it being harsh at all but I had just quit smoking RYO cig tobacco the day before. 25 years of inhaling develops calluses on the back of the throat I guess.

The best thing about CBW is that it introduced me to pipe smoking. Haven't gone back to cigs since.

:puffy:

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

CBW is wetter than soup...when burning a bowl, that moisture is turned to steam. Steam burns. Simple.

Also, what was said above...allergy, sensitivity, smoking cadence...any of these could do it.

Maybe you over/under packed the bowl, or over tamped while smoking, too. It happens.

10. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Yes. I love the room note of CB light but it burns my throat up to my nose for about a day. Haven't had any other brand or blend do that.

11. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

I have tried to like CBW and still have some in a jar but I could never get over the lingering smell it leaves in my sinuses. Other than that I haven't found it harsh, YMMV of course.

12. r0n54

r0n54 Member

Strange how something like CBW can be so popular with so many and yet be so offensive to many others as well! I also started back with a pipe not long ago...on CBW, and now can't smoke the stuff! I agree that the best thing about CBW was that it started me back on smoking pipes again!

13. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

When I first tried pipe smoking many years ago, it was with CBW. Despite pleasant childhood associations, it bit and burned me as described above and I gave up on the pipe for a decade. When I decided to start up again I went to LJ Piretti and the tobacconist asked my experience. "If you know CB, you might like this," he suggested. I went in another direction with Rob't McConnell Red Virginia. That bit the tongue right out of me, but I stuck with it and became the man I am today. I am looking at that original McConnell tin as I write this. Right now it's full of bullseye flake. I never saved the CBW pouch nor do I fondly recollect it.

I've got nothing against Capt. Black. I'm not necessarily for it either. Once bitten twice shy.

Cheers,
    WK

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Harsh on the throat? Hell, it's harsh on the wallet! I can get twice as much PA or CH for what those rascals are charging to CB, and I like them twice as much (if not more).

15. uncleburl

uncleburl Member

I've never had it bother my throat or anything else, but I mostly buy it "from bulk" at 4noggins.com and it seems dryer and better than pouches I've had.

16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You need a parfait of Solani ABF on the bottom, topped off with Carter Hall. Smooth, cool & sweet. ;)

17. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

I understand what you mean by the lingering flavor. I've tried CH and PA both and neither of them do this. I was trying to finish off this pouch of CBW but now I just dont think I can do it!

18. Jay

Jay Active Member

CBW tastes good for the first half, then turns to nasty assh taste and goopy bowl. I have a pouch that is in my truck for at least a year. The last time I checked it, it was still moist. Now, there is something wrong with that in my opinion.

19. Icepick

Icepick Member

For me, Captain Black falls in the category of "pleasant to those around you,not so much for the pipe smoker".

20. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

I can agree with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.