1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Captain Black Royal

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Otoolefan, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Got my free sample in the mail today from Lane. I chose Captain Black Royal since I smoked a bit of it around 2004 when I smoked a pipe briefly. I had tried Captail Black (White) years ago and about gagged as well as burned my tongue off. But the Royal seemed a little milder and better tasting. So, I chose the Royal sample to revisit it and see how it tasted and smoked to me now that I'm an actual pipe smoker.

Well, the tobacco was too moist, as I remember, so I set some aside on a paer towel and let it dry (or try to dry) for a while before I loaded my pipe. The biggest problem I remember with for me with Royal back in 2004 was gurgling and getting that nasty juice in my mouth. But I also smoked a straght stem pipe with the Royal in 2004, so that might have been some of it. This time I used a bent pipe, lol. When I lit the pipe, it didn't want to light--or certainly not the way CH & PA light right up. Here we go, I thought, I'm going to burn my tongue trying to keep this lit. But I didn't. I did my second light and it finally got going half decent.

So, I settled in for a bit of a pleasant smoke, although my pipe did go out after only 10 minutes, but when I relit it this time it stayed lit till just about the bottom of the bowl. The bowl didn't get very hot and I got no tongue bite. I do like the flavor, except it's just a bit too sweet. Still, though, I enjoyed it. I was also pleased to find after my smoke, that the Captain Black Royal didn't goop up my pipe much at all--and there were no gurgles or unwanted juices, lol.

I was pleasantly surprised. Would I want to smoke this every day? Hell no. But a bowl of it every now and then, sure. Especially when it's a FREE SAMPLE. Here in Oklahoma even, a pouch of Captain Black is around $9. Absurd.

I think this may be the best of the Captain Black flavors, but your mileage may vary. I'm just glad I was able to enjoy the first bowl of my free sample.

Don

dBear, KingsTarantula and Thuber88 like this.
  2. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

That's my favs Baptain Black so far. White is good too but Royal is better. Wow, $9 for a pouch is crazy. It's $7 here in california. But I am still waiting my shippment of CB Dark.

3. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

I'm pretty sure that's what the price was, and this was at a Native American tobacco shop here in Oklahoma which is supposed to be a little cheaper than buying it anywhere else around here!

Captain Black, for me, is good every blue moon, but I find the tobacco far too moist & too sweet. I far prefer the codger blends with more of a straught tobacco taste.

Thuber88 likes this.
  4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

The Indians that sell me my coffin nails have this stuff for about $40 a can, I think. I don't know what a pouch goes for, but I might have to pick some up next week.

Thuber88 likes this.
  5. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Next time I'm in there, I'll check again. The local one in town doesn't even carry that--just Prince Albert & Prince Albert Soft Vanilla... My free sample also came with a $3 off any pouch of Captain Black coupon.

Thuber88 likes this.
  6. Moose

Moose Active Member

Thanks for the review of CB Royal Otoolefan. The Royal is my favorite CB that I have tried so far. I guess I have different taste though because I could smoke this everyday. To each his
    own I guess.:toast:

Thuber88 and KingsTarantula like this.
  7. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Thanks, hope my "review" made sense. This blend is connected to some intense personal memories. The only other one I've tried is the White and I didn't care for that one at all. I'm more of a straight tobacco pipe guy now, that's why I couldn't smoke it every day. Just wish it was a little less moist, but it was good to know that I liked this blend then and I still like it now, as an actual pipe smoker. It will always hold a sentimental place in my heart as well because of the circumstances under which it was smoked. It gave me a little bit of comfort as I was dealing with my Mom's illness (ALS) and taking care of her.

Thuber88 likes this.
  8. Moose

Moose Active Member

It's funny how sometimes a certain tobacco will take us back to the time we enjoyed it and help us remember those instances surrounding that time.

Every time I look at a tub of CB White I think of my dad as he used to keep the empty cans in his barn and I found all of them after he passed.

KingsTarantula likes this.
  9. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Yes, kind of like the way a song or a scent or a piece of music can bring you back to a specific time in your life no matter how many years go by...

Thuber88 likes this.
  10. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

Otoolefan, did you get a coupon in your free sample? When I got my free sample a coupon came with it.

11. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

CB Royal is the first aromatic I tried. After I stopped expecting a pipe to satisfy me like a cigarette, I have really started to like it. I don't care for the gold but haven't tried the white. Thanks for the review!

KingsTarantula likes this.
  12. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Yeah, $3 off any Captain Black pouch. Pretty good coupon!

Thuber88 likes this.
  13. Otoolefan

Otoolefan Member

Hope my "review" made sense. If you want to try and even better aromatic (in my book), pick yourself up a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. Very good stuff. It's in my regular rotation. It's the only aromatic I smoke on a semi-regular basis. That and Kentucky Club Continental Blend. A very, very mild aromatic, also very good stuff.

Tsulagi44 and Thuber88 like this.
  14. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

+2 on SWRA:th1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.