Captain Black.. What's the story on this brand?

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by TheMadMan, May 12, 2012.

1. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

I went searching around the past few days looking for different places i thought would sell pipe tobacco. If the place did sell pipe tobacco it was only the Captain Black brand. Why is this? Are they getting a better price then the other OTC brands they could sell? Or is it that this brand of tobacco sells and moves quicker?

Ronv69 likes this.
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It does sell a lot. And it's been around for 50 thousand years. So whatever bozo is doing the ordering at the local Pack'n'Sack looks at the available stuff, and brings in Captain Black because he's never heard of London Mixture. And the fact is, if he brought in London Mixture, a bunch of old codgers would ask him where the Captain Black was.

3. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

Also today i was blown away from all the cigar types these quickie marts sell. But when it comes to the pipe they only have two bags and it's only Captain Black.

I even hit Waly*World since i remember when i was a kid i would buy apple & cherry tobacco. Now they don't even sell pipes or pipe cleaners. What's up with that? I thought they sold everything. Guess I still need to find the ones that sell guns & ammo and maybe they will still sell pipe tobacco?

Sorry for the rant.. As i cant get over how this stuff isn't sold like when i was a kid.

Ronv69, Grimpeur and Briar Life like this.
  4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Last year, on holiday in Turkey I ran out of tobacco - a couple of days before flying home. Looking around I saw the same as you - a few pouches of Captain Cack, I'd been smoking G&H stuff, that I had taken along, so there was no way that I would resort to mediocre stuff like this!. I just smoked one or two small cigars, while I got home. Each to his own of course, and no doubt there will be howls of righteous indignation, but for me - if stuff like this was all there was, I would not smoke a pipe!.
    Obviously it's popular in America, and gets foisted onto many other parts of the world, and if you love it - fine!, just twopennorth from a part of the world that...mercifully..hardly sees it!
    OT

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

If memory serves, it was the last brand of pipe tobacco to see TV commercial time in the U.S. NY Yankee manager Billy Martin smoked it and was one the commercial. Marketing is a big reason a lot of things sell well. Distribution comes next. It appears Lane Ltd did their homework at business school.

Aromatics outsell non-aros in this country about 3-1, last I heard. The various CB's are definitely geared toward the middle of the road U.S market. I tip my hat to Lane, even though I don't smoke this stuff.

Ronv69 likes this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Captain Black is a Lane Limited premium brand aromatic tobacco which you can find anywhere, very popular, there are also the bulk blends at a much better price. The bulk blend 1-Q according to Lane Limited is the #1 selling tobacco in the USA.

Captain Black (white pouch) is the bulk blend RLP-6
    Captain Black Royal (blue pouch) is the bulk blend 1-Q
    Captain Black Gold (gold pouch) is the bulk blend MV-1000

I have smoked both the Captain Black blends and the bulk equivalents, they are similar but not the same, they are more like cousins to each other than twins.

Ronv69 and TheMadMan like this.
  7. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Since I have no B&M anywhere near my little world, I'm stuck making online purchases. My sentiment matches yours. Mercifully, I never see this stuff.

I have tried it, but if it were the last tobacco blend remaining for the pipe, I would quit.

Forum Running

Nidokan, Ronv69, BriarRabbit and 5 others like this.
  8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

+1

Loved, brilliant, horrible and despised, the Captain. They should have named it "Captain Bligh".

9. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

It's one of my favorite tobys. I mix it 50/50 with Carter hall and smoke it in a cob. I'm just ghetto like that.

10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I smoke a bowl of the CB blends or bulks every now and then for a change of pace smoke when I'm in the mood for something besides a Burley or Virginia and have a few DG Omega's set aside just for these aromatics.

Ronv69, Dave Dueck, TheMadMan and 3 others like this.
  11. sorringowl

sorringowl Active Member

Captain Black is what I remember my dad smoking (when he took up the pipe for a few years, after smoking two packs a day for years--he's been a non-smoker now for about 30 years). So, even though I've never smoked it personally, I guess it has a special place in my heart as it was one of the reasons I always had a curiosity (and a positive association) about pipes and pipe smoking.

It is for that reason that I probably will never try it though (not to mention I mostly like English blends now). It seems we're blessed now to have such great tobaccos and blenders available to us now and since I don't smoke everyday, it seems a waste to smoke what many consider a run of the mill blend. More importantly, to me, I wouldn't want to ruin such a good memory by actually trying it and possibly not liking it. It's kind of like how they say you should never meet your idols.

Then again, maybe I would like it? and that would make the memory all the more sweeter...?

12. Gary

Gary Member

CB white was the first pipe toby I smoked. Was good enough to let me know that I'd enjoy smoking a pipe, but not good enough to elicit a repurchase.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

13. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

Just grabbed a pouch of CB Royal since I'd never had an OTC before. Smoked one bowl- disliked it, then liked it, so too early to tell. I've been smoking bulk mostly, so it's not like I've developed a specific taste yet...

Ronv69 and KingsTarantula like this.
  14. vibhakti

vibhakti Member

Do any of the other beginners here have trouble having CB stay lit? I have to pack it very loosely in order for it to stay lit, otherwise I'm relighting it way too often to actually enjoy smoking.

As for the taste, my tobacconist recommended it to me along with a house blend called "Commodore," which is a vanilla aromatic based on Cavendish that is similar to the CB Regular/white.

Can't say I particularly like either of them, but I also don't dislike them. They just smell much better than they taste IMO, since I like very sweet flavors. :(

Ronv69 likes this.
  15. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I usually dry mine out a fair sight before sparking it. Tends to stay lit after that.

Ronv69 and Hawkwood like this.
  16. vibhakti

vibhakti Member

How long is a "fair sight?" ;)

17. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

All I know is the Capt Black Cherry bit me so bad I almost gave the pipe up ....

Ronv69, Riff and G man like this.
  18. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I couldn't get it to dry out hardly at all. I have a feeling some of that bite would go away if it could be done. The royal wasn't half bad.

Ronv69 likes this.
  19. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Why does TR say that MV-1000 is VA and CB Gold is Cav? :cfsd:

Ronv69 likes this.
  20. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

CB Gold is Virginia Cavendish, so is MV-1000.

Ronv69 likes this.