Captain Black.. What's the story on this brand?

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by TheMadMan, May 12, 2012.

1. User3940

User3940 Active Member

If there is ever a nuclear holocaust three things will survive:

1) cockroaches
    2) That mexican radio station that can picked up from anywhere in the world
    3) Captain Black

Nima Parsa, Arkie, MakDragon and 3 others like this.
  2. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

:haha: Actually, 4 things will survive: Twinkies.

MakDragon and bubbagump like this.
  3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Not once the warehouse is empty. Remember, not made anymore. Or did someone buy the rights to the name?

4. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

They will be made again later this summer......... all is well in the world!!!

MakDragon and bubbagump like this.
  5. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

Twinkies are supposed to be coming back this summer.

BTW, I like Captain Black white, the Dark is good too. They're not my first choice or 'go to' tobacco but they are enjoyable.

bubbagump likes this.
  6. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I read this thread and went down a bought a pouch of CB Royal. Curiosity was killing me. I just smoked a bowl of it.................not bad..............not bad at all.

Ronv69, Grimpeur and Wildcat like this.
  7. ToaccJoe

ToaccJoe Member

After reading this thread I too went out and bought a pouch of CBG and CBW. I'm halfway through a bowl of CBG in a new MM Pride straight and I don't see what all the repulsion is about. Sip slowly and the cavenish does come with the occasional vanilla flavor. I could see this becoming an occasional pass-time smoke.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    Ronv69 likes this.
  8. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

For there to be a hearty supply present, there is invariably an equally hearty demand to justify. Espeically true over a long period. On this logic, there must be umpteen people passing up the good stuff for CB! :P

Ronv69 likes this.
  9. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I think you'll have better luck when you smoke the SWRA at home.

Ronv69 likes this.
  10. Whalehead King

In the 70s, CBG was the most popular smoke after cigarettes among the men of my community. It was the first pipe tobacco I smoked and it bit me. It bit me hard. I like to smoke OTCs, but, to this day, I stay away from Captain Black. Also to this day, if you ask me do describe the perfect room note, I'll tell you it's CBG. That's the first thing that pops to my mind.

SidStavros likes this.
  11. Splat

Splat Member

So I admit it... I bought some CBW today. Just wanted to try it. My uncle used to smoke it, amongst other better tobaccos, so I figured what the hell... Well, I like it. I didn't find any of the negatives that I've read about it...ashy, burns hot, goopy, etc... and it doesn't taste like RLP6 to my tastebuds...close, but not a perfect match. So there ya go. I like it.

12. Moose

Moose Active Member

I have not tried CBW yet but have had CB Royal in the blue pouch. Color me tasteless, I like it.
    [​IMG]

Ronv69, CoachH, JustinP and 3 others like this.
  13. ToaccJoe

ToaccJoe Member

Once you learn how to smoke it just right, it grows on ya quick. I have to admit CB White and CB Royal are quickly becoming two of my favorite tobaccos. Mild enough to smoke all day without feeling sick, tastey enough to always be a pleasure, and the note of it always draws compliments so it can be smoked in near any situation. I understand why it was and still is so popular.

Ronv69 and colorduke like this.
  14. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Ok, so now I have to go buy a pouch of the CB's and try them again.........

Ronv69 and Grimpeur like this.
  15. Splat

Splat Member

At the risk of sounding pompous, I don't have any problems smoking anything now. I've tried many different baccos and cuts and I find myself an aro man. While CBW is not as bad as most report now that I've smoked almost the whole pouch I think the whiskey is a little much. I may get some bulk and let it sit for a while to smoothen out. I think with some time it may even better.

Ronv69 likes this.
  16. ChristTiger

ChristTiger Active Member

It's funny that you mention baseball. I remember Johnny Bench advertising for Big Red.

Ronv69 likes this.
  17. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I just tried CBW last night for the first time in 6+ months. All I tasted was an occasional vanilla ish hint, with a brick to the face amount of chemical residue. At this point, I'm like that with most black cavendish blends though. I smoked it in a MM cob though. I'll have to give it a try in a briar one of these days (that's what I smoked it in back when I liked the stuff).

Ronv69 and inkybat like this.
  18. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The only CB blend I ever tired was Gold Label and that was about 40 years ago. What I remember about it is that it tasted like suntan lotion smells. It did remind me of bodacious girls clad in only skimpy bikinis but it tasted terrible - the tobacco, not the girls.

CrazyIvan779 likes this.
  19. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. That stuff is pretty bad. I bought a pouch recently to see what it taste like, just for ****s and giggles.

20. Whalehead King

I'm smoking a tin of Macbaren 7 Seas Royal which, according to the reviews, is supposed to be a CB knockoff. Why someone would want to do that, I can't fathom.

I haven't matched it head to head with a pouch of the Capt. If I recall correctly, CB is goopy and very heavy on the room note. The MacB version is not goopy and seems more subtle than I remember CB being. I know this is faint praise and I'm not really trying to tout 7 Seas except that when I showed my wife the tin, she got very excited about the graphic design. Again, faint praise, but it does have some very crisply designed tin art.

Grimpeur likes this.