Carey's Bruno Special, St. Bruno, and M79

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dwaugh, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

A kind member traded me some Carey's Bruno Special for one of my claydogs. The Carey's Bruno Special advertises itself as a St. Bruno's "match" which I have not tried. So far I've have 3 bowls of it and have been enjoying it. It's certainly different than almost anything else I've tried. I guess it has the "Lakeland" essence? I'm not sure how to describe it, other than I really like it.
    Mixture 79 is vile. The Carey's Bruno Special reminds me somewhat of the M79, and I like it. Maybe the flavoring in M79 is just present in too high a concentration? (I like capers, in small doses... too much and it tastes like poison). I'm not going to smoke anymore M79 just to test my comparison (even I have standards :)).
    Does anyone else see any similarities between St Bruno and M79? Or rather, does M79 have what might be called a Lakeland flavor? I'm not sure, other than I have been enjoying the Carey's Bruno Special! -David

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'd say Mixture #79 is a lot like a Lakeland blend but does not use tobacco of as high a quality as, say, Gawith & Hoggarth. And they definitely overdo the sauce. Your capers analogy is spot on. Flavoring should be used with a deft hand rather than a heavy one.

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I think M79 is some pretty vile stuff. I like St. Bruno. They both have a Lakeland's essence and will ghost your pipe something fierce. However, while both are OTC's I think St. Bruno has M79 beat quire soundly when it comes to quality of toby. I don't much are for Lakeland's essence tobaccos, but St. Bruno (and Condor Flake) stops just shy of my red zone.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

The Carey's is only available mail order, I found the pouch that was given to me - a nice smoke but not worth replaceing St.Bruno, which is on hand in any supermarket. Actually IMO they only have a slight resemblance.
    OT

5. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I personally enjoyed the bit of M79 I had at one point. Don't know why you people are so down on it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.