Carter hall

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cityhick, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cityhick

cityhick Member

Tried some carter hall today in one of my cobs after hearing many good reviews on it......thought it was absolutely horrible. I know we all have our own tastes but it was by far the worst thing i have ever smoked. I was really hopeing to like it since it is available locally. Just my two cents......P.S..... I have only been a pipe smoker for about two months so please dont consider my opinion to be that important.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Sorry you didn't like it. Have you tried Sir Walter Raliegh Aromatic (dark blue pouch) yet? I was sent a pouch of this by a friend (couldn't find it here), and I love it. I'll be ordering a tub of it for sure.

3. furious

furious Junque collector

Love CH and SWRA. Only OTC brands I have in my stash.

4. el guero

el guero Member

That is the beautiful thing about pipe smoking, it is all about what is right to you. Everyone else might rant and rave about a blend and you might not be able to stomach it, and that is perfectly okay. If you don´t enjoy a blend then you don´t have to smoke it, I would say though keep it for the future though. Who knows one day you may be able to use it as trading fodder.

RTOdhner and Jayson H Bucy like this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

CH, I didn't like it the first time I smoked it either. Put that Carter Hall in a jar and leave it; don't toss it out. I promise your tastes will change over time. I don't think Carter Hall is an awesome smoke on it's own now, but I do think it is an excellent blending tobacco.

I've topped off some blends like Solani Aged Burley Flake, Cornell & Diehl Burley Flake #2 and even some straight Virginias with 10-20% Carter Hall and have been so surprised at the depth, smoothness and extra flavor it provided.

There are many blends I did not like my first year of smoking a pipe. As my tastes developed, some of those blends I still don't like but others I think are a good smoke now. I've heard this from many pipe smokers, so hope you give certain tobacco more than one chance.

RTOdhner, ATXPipe, Mington and 2 others like this.
  6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Here's my theory on OTC's. I think most of them were conceived with the all-day smoker in mind. They're not too big on flavor, as that would probably get tiresome, most of them are pretty much no-muss-no-fuss kinds of things that pack easily and burn well, and they're mostly Burley-based, thus more forgiving on the tongue if you push them a little too hard. Additionally, they tend to have a pleasant room note to accomodate bystanders. The milder flavor, in particular, can make taking up the pipe easier on someone who may have already been accustomed to cigarettes or who may not have smoked at all. If, however, you are coming from smoking complex blends with more pronounced flavor profiles, they can be a little meh, or even unpleasant. I was in that place for a lot of years, and never really considered them much until recently. Still haven't got to Carter Hall, but I'm starting, timidly, to make my rounds of these classics, and have been pretty pleased by the ones I've tried so far (other than Walnut; just not my thing).

I wouldn't say I have lower expectations of them, just different ones, and I appreciate the subtleties that they offer, not to mention their easy-going demeanor. As Brad and others have said, keep it around for a while and come back to it, or use it to compliment or extend something else. You never know how your tastes may change.

7. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I hated Carter Hall for at least 2 years, which sucked 'cause I've had a tub of it for that long. Very recently (last 2 or 3 weeks) it's starting to grow on me. My experience, only my experience, is that it will grow on you. Also, there's nothing better for breaking in a new pipe...again, my experience.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. cityhick

cityhick Member

Thanks for the replies. I will keep it and try it again in six months or so. Is Prince Albert something I should try or is it similar to Carter Hall. My favorite so far is Boswells Dutch Treat so if anyone is familiar with that and could reccomend another tobacco that is similar but different I'm all ears......thanks

9. cityhick

cityhick Member

Thanks for the replies. I will keep it and try it again in six months or so. Is Prince Albert something I should try or is it similar to Carter Hall. My favorite so far is Boswells Dutch Treat so if anyone is familiar with that and could reccomend another tobacco that is similar but different I'm all ears......thanks

10. cityhick

cityhick Member

Sorry for the double post:(

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nothing to add to this. Well done!

Mark w4mms and HCraven like this.
  12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Well, of the 4,000+ blends available, you've narrowed down 1 that you don't care for atm. Remember, some blends taste better on the revisit or a different pipe. CH is a blend I remember my Dad smoked in the late 50's to early 60's. So I smoke it now and then but it's not in rotation.

Ed
    Puff

13. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Sounds like you are enjoying an aromatic tobacco. My favorite aromatic is Dan tobacco's DaVinci.

14. cityhick

cityhick Member

I know Dutch Treat is considered an aromatic but it sure has a flavor that I really enjoy, it stays lit rather easily and it doesnt smoke very hot......I need to place another order....:th1:

15. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The OTC blends of legend were created in a different time. Back when they were created, I think, smokers had a different expectation about what made for a good pipe. As T-Bear has pointed out, there was once a time when the average smoker had two or three pipes and a favorite blend or two. The "old codger" today was a mainstream smoker 30 years ago, and a goodly many mainstream smokers simply wanted a blend they could enjoy all day. They were (and are) very brand loyal, and tended to stick with either one favorite blend or a couple of blends from the same company. My uncle Danny, frinstance, preferred Pinkerton blends, but every now and then would pick up a Midddleton smoke like Carter Hall.

Smokers like my uncle Danny were not hicks or unsophisticated, they were just pipe smokers. They were not all cut out from templates on some assembly line, and they had differing tastes, so blenders like Middleton, Pinkerton, House of Windsor, or other blenders created lines of tobacco that appealed to different types of smokers and these smokers remained loyal to the blenders that catered to their tastes. My uncle Danny, my main pipe mentor, was a "Pinkerton man." My pastor (my other pipe mentor) loved Captain Black Gold and Scandinavik, and would smoke nothing else.

Initially I followed my uncle Danny's example, but a local B&M offered a monster blend that he called Cavalier and I soon became one helluva an ignorant and obnoxious snob in search of "nuance." (In hindsight, I really didn't know how to appreciate "nuance" and smoked stuff because it was more expensive and "exclusive"). 32 years later, I've come back around to rather uncomplicated blends and favor MacB and PS blends (and some of those classic OTC's) because they simply provide a nice and relaxing pipe.

But those legendary OTC's are still around, for the most part, because they are good and offer a great smoke at a great price. I'll wager T-Bear is right, and the vast majority of pipe smokers don't show up here at PSF, they don't have a tobacco rotation, and they don't seek or crave nuance - they just want a satisfying pipe.

Mark w4mms and bowlerallover like this.
  16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Prince Albert is fairly similar to Carter Hall. They are both lightweight burley based blends. Carter Hall has a little bit of Virginia in there, though. I find Prince Albert to be slightly more full flavored. I like it better, but I go through phases. For a time I'll think it's a great bargain, and a downright pleasant, mild burley blend with a nice flavor, little tongue bite, and plenty of smoothness to make up for the lack off nicotine and the light flavor profile. It's a very simple, no-nonsense blend. If I smoke it in my largest pipe, I do get a little nicotine from it sometimes. If you despise Carter Hall, you probably won't like Prince Albert all that much. If you have 4 bucks to spare, though, it wouldn't hurt to just try a pouch.

I enjoyed PA so much for a while that I bought a big tub of it. Smoked about half of it and then just couldn't bring myself to smoke it anymore. I stopped enjoying it. Lately I've been enjoying the flavor and burn quality of it again, and find it's a nice blend for that first smoke of the day. It's also good to use as kindling for a stubborn-lighting flake tobacco.

As has been mentioned, it sounds like you're after some good quality aromatics. Boswells has a great reputation but I've never tried any of their aros. At the moment, I'm not into aromatics so I don't intend to try any new ones soon, but there are some really great aromatic blends out there.

Try Peter Stokkebye Sweet Vanilla. It isn't sickly sweet, but it is sweet enough. Unlike many vanilla aromatics, it actually has a really nice vanilla flavor to it. It is made with quality leaf, and some good tobacco flavor does come through in addition to the flavorings.

I also highly recommend McClelland's Holiday Spirit. It's a really fine aromatic flavored with dark rum, cocoa, and pecan. It's a seasonal release, so try a tin and if you like it stock up for when it's out of season.

I very highly recommend trying W.O. Larsen's Signature Vintage blend. It's a truly high quality Danish aromatic with fruity, berry-like flavors. It's a little pricey to just try it, but keep in mind the tin is twice the size of most tinned tobaccos as well, so gram for gram it really isn't an expensive blend, you just buy a larger quantity at once.

Last but not least I'd recommend Stanwell Melange. It's a good quality Danish aromatic at a very reasonable price, and the flavor is predominantly caramel. They claim there's apricot in there too, but I don't personally detect it.

Like I said, I can appreciate a good aromatic every now and then, but lately they aren't really speaking to me. When I'm in the mood, though, I go for one of these.

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic has been mentioned. I have tried it from a sample someone here sent me once. It's pretty nice, and the price can't be beat. If it's available locally, I wouldn't hesitate to try it out if you see it. It should be priced along the lines of Carter Hall. As for the CH, I do recommend hanging on to it - it takes a very long time for it to get so dried out as to be unsmokeable, and you may find yourself enjoying it more thoroughly at a later date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.