1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Carter Hall....

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mongo, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Active Member

So, just what is Carter Hall? Where can I find it, and WHY is it a must for cob pipes?

(Is that enough dumb noob questions for ya?):xd:

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Maybe check that CVS you got your cob at...I know the Rite-Aid I bought my Legend at also sold Carter Hall...

3. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

My first experience with CH was at the recommendation of the fine people here. I went out and got a MM Gentleman and a pouch of CH.
    Sorry to say, I just didnt get it. Nothing was as I expected.
    Then I read in another thread that you have to smoke a few bowls in a new cob to "burn" off the new wood taste. So I decided to give it a try.
    What a pleasant surprise to find out how nice CH is in a cob! It just seems to be the perfect marriage of toby and pipe for many people. I also find SWRA is another great toby to smoke in a cob. (Thanks to Ruffinogold)

My tastes almost vary with the seasons. At times, I am on an English kick, and others a light aro kick. Cant ever decide which I like best. But the one thing I find is that CH in a cob is just a standard, all around, reliable, satisfying combination. Same with the SWRA.

jdto likes this.
  4. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Carter Hall is mostly burley tobacco with a little virginia thrown in. Very little flavoring, just plain good tobacco taste.

In my town both the little cig/booze shops carry it and one of the supermarkets as well. Just about every online place has it.

It has a good flavor that I really like. But more than that it is an "easy" tobacco, very tolerant of noobs and folks who don't make a production out of smoking a pipe! (Not that there's anything wrong with making a production out of it if that's your thing :) )

dwaugh likes this.
  5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Burley and a cob usually get along well, which is part of the CH in a cob attraction. Another part is the simplicity of how it smokes. :)

JimInks likes this.
  6. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

7. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

I found a 1.5 oz. pouch in Rite Aid for $3 and some change. It works just fine in briar, but I hear cob smokers really like it.

8. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I feel like I should say something, but y'all are probably tired of me pontificating on C H.:rolleyes:

9. Tate

Tate Member

DGE, do you actually smoke anything else?

10. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Heh heh... pont on, brother!

11. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

No, why should I?:msty:

Kiowapipe likes this.
  12. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

It's a pipe smoking concept, that pipe smoking with an inexpensive pipe and pedestrian tobacco can be highly enjoyable. Being that you can get a good MM cob for less than 5 bucks and big tubs of OTC relatively cheap, the CH/Cob combo is a shining example of this concept. I find both the CH/Cob and PA/Cob combo to be a highly enjoyable smoke!

Kiowapipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.