Carter Hall....

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mongo, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Active Member

So, just what is Carter Hall? Where can I find it, and WHY is it a must for cob pipes?

(Is that enough dumb noob questions for ya?):xd:

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Maybe check that CVS you got your cob at...I know the Rite-Aid I bought my Legend at also sold Carter Hall...

3. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

My first experience with CH was at the recommendation of the fine people here. I went out and got a MM Gentleman and a pouch of CH.
    Sorry to say, I just didnt get it. Nothing was as I expected.
    Then I read in another thread that you have to smoke a few bowls in a new cob to "burn" off the new wood taste. So I decided to give it a try.
    What a pleasant surprise to find out how nice CH is in a cob! It just seems to be the perfect marriage of toby and pipe for many people. I also find SWRA is another great toby to smoke in a cob. (Thanks to Ruffinogold)

My tastes almost vary with the seasons. At times, I am on an English kick, and others a light aro kick. Cant ever decide which I like best. But the one thing I find is that CH in a cob is just a standard, all around, reliable, satisfying combination. Same with the SWRA.

jdto likes this.
  4. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Carter Hall is mostly burley tobacco with a little virginia thrown in. Very little flavoring, just plain good tobacco taste.

In my town both the little cig/booze shops carry it and one of the supermarkets as well. Just about every online place has it.

It has a good flavor that I really like. But more than that it is an "easy" tobacco, very tolerant of noobs and folks who don't make a production out of smoking a pipe! (Not that there's anything wrong with making a production out of it if that's your thing :) )

dwaugh likes this.
  5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Burley and a cob usually get along well, which is part of the CH in a cob attraction. Another part is the simplicity of how it smokes. :)

JimInks likes this.
  6. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

7. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

I found a 1.5 oz. pouch in Rite Aid for $3 and some change. It works just fine in briar, but I hear cob smokers really like it.

8. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I feel like I should say something, but y'all are probably tired of me pontificating on C H.:rolleyes:

9. Tate

Tate Member

DGE, do you actually smoke anything else?

10. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Heh heh... pont on, brother!

11. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

No, why should I?:msty:

Kiowapipe likes this.
  12. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

It's a pipe smoking concept, that pipe smoking with an inexpensive pipe and pedestrian tobacco can be highly enjoyable. Being that you can get a good MM cob for less than 5 bucks and big tubs of OTC relatively cheap, the CH/Cob combo is a shining example of this concept. I find both the CH/Cob and PA/Cob combo to be a highly enjoyable smoke!

Kiowapipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.