Carter Hall

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SBritton, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBritton

SBritton Member

I am surprised at the amount of people that stick their noses up at Carter Hall and allot of OTCs in general. No matter what I smoke, I end up smoking this at the end of the day. What are you thoughts?

I like how the smoke starts of mellow and works into a strong nutty taste.

2. Charles

Charles Member

Agreed. One of my top three goto smokes.

3. JuanOrez

JuanOrez Member

I also really enjoy Carter Hall. I am a big proponent of smoke what you enjoy. I love many OTC blends along with boutique blends/flakes plugs etc. My mood often dictates what I smoke. :bing:

Kiowapipe likes this.
  4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I agree with the above sentiments. Although for me, it's Prince Albert. Very similar to CH- just suits me a bit better. Funny how I never really got into OTCs until after I'd been smoking for years. Glad I found 'em- and right about the time I learned to love cobs, too!

5. ichabod

ichabod Member

I always have carter hall on hand. I buy it by the tub actually. It's my "all day" smoke.

6. DocB

DocB Active Member

I am the same way with Sugar Barrel, due to not ever tasting CH before. I may have to buy a pouch and check it out.

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Carter Hall, SWR, Middleton's Cherry, PA, Kentucky Club, all among my favorites and always stocked in my cellar in tubs. Fancy blends no, satisfying as all day blends, yes!

8. ddandb

ddandb Member

Yep, an open pouch and a cellaring tub of it here.

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I HATE THAT S***. I don't know What's the matter with me but I can't stand it. I love Prince Albert but I don't like carter hall. Call me crazy:startl:. Never could finish a bowl. I'm not a snob by any means but it just has a funky taste that doesn't agree me. Sorry.:(

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Cater Hall in a cob.... ah, sweet pipe bliss! I think I'll pick up a pouch tonight.

11. SBritton

SBritton Member

Dude that is no bigge. There are just a ton of people that will not even try OTC. Because, well, its OTC. I think it is silly to judge a smoke by its price. Take Dunhill NC for example. That stuff is crap. Cost a ton and does not even touch CH in my opinion.

12. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I tried Carter Hall for the first time a couple weeks ago. I liked it pretty good, but the next morning my allergies were acting up.

But on the other hand the hot hot hot weather around here has many farmers making hay, so that might have been the cause. I'm gonna give it another shot soon.

13. SBritton

SBritton Member

It is always a good idea to try a baccy a few times before giving it up.

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I like CH and PA and to be honest - don't find much difference!, I mostly use them as 'mixers' with my VA's because it's like getting Condor in Carolina - sourcing!. One time I got a pouch of Granger to try, and was not impressed!.....don't any of you guys smoke that stuff?
    OT

15. Charles

Charles Member

Granger is pretty good. I love the tin. So classy and old. Its nice that some companies haven't "modernized" their look. Good burley. If PA and CH are similar to each other I would almost say Granger is most comparable to SWR.

16. SBritton

SBritton Member

That SWR takes the hair out of my nose!

17. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I tried PA & CH back to back, and found CH to be slightly sweeter, but both nutty. I didn't like Granger or SWR.

I also agree with SBritton, in that you shouldn't give up on a baccy, so soon. I found this out last night, with my 3rd try at Erinmore Flake.

18. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I think PA and CH are decent. I have not taken the SWR plunge yet. Should I? :cfsd:

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

SWR Aromatic isn't bad, haven't had the flagship yet though.

I love PA, honestly, but CH just does -not- cut it for me. No strength in either flavor or nicotine in the experience of this smoker. Great as flake kindling though.

However, for a simple, no-frills Virginia and burley blend with a little more strength and flavor than CH, PS Cube Cut is steadily growing on me, and with CH running around 28 bucks for 14oz and Cube Cut running about 28 bucks for a pound, it's clear what I'll choose every time. Cube Cut may even replace PA once my seemingly neverending tub runs out. For anyone who likes things such as PA and CH and the likes, I recommend getting a sample next time you're making a purchase online. It didn't mesh well with my palate first time I smoked it, but I'm learning to love it quickly now.

20. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Prince Albert seems to have a bit more Nicotine than most of the other Tobacco's I smoke. It gives me a touch of the "woozies" directly after a bowl...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.