Carter Hall

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SBritton, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

For those that like PA over CH, it must be the Va bright lef you are not liking which it contains. Granger really is a taste of it's own, I like it but find it has a plastic flavor to it. SWR is an old classic, a must try. Also in a class of it's own.

2. DanielO

DanielO Member

That's odd, I always have the urge for a cigarette after a bowl of PA :)

3. Brian

Brian Member

It's cool if someone just doesn't enjoy a particular blend. But I don't think it's the overall culture of this pipe community here to snub noses at OTC blends. You more often see people singing their praises. As long as you keep them in context, they're good smokes. They just are what they are, and there's a reason they've been around forever (the classic codger blends at least).

4. Jay

Jay Active Member

I enjoy the Carter Hall on occasion. I am not a huge Burley fan, but the CH is a good decent smoke. No surprises, always consistent, with a good down to earth flavor. Sometimes I crave it and it does not disappoint.

5. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Just picked up a pouch of SWR based on this thread.

Two weeks ago I had one pouch of CBW. Today I have nine different blends. The Fiance is not pleased....:byg:

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

LOL... Just find some threads with pics of Puff or Atwageman's stashes and show that to her... She'll either never bring it up again, or she'll stage an intervention right there and bury all your pipes in the yard! :)

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like Carter Hall OK straight, but really love the flavor it adds when mixed with other tobaccos. It especially adds a soft nutty flavor to Solani ABF.

8. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I concur. It's good for a mixer. Not just for the flavor, but for the burning properties as well. It seems to smooth everything out and keep things going steadily. It's a good adjunct for a stubborn flake.

JuanOrez and Brian like this.
  9. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

CH is certainly a 'nutty' blend. I like it straight and I like to mix it. It's a good all-purpose smoke. It was the first OTC I tried, and I haven't really looked back since. I pick up an ounce of bulk now and then for variety, but the OTCs are my go-to, SWRA and Sugar Barrel, in particular, but I keep a jar of CH around. I've forgotten it, so I'll be enjoying it this evening. Thanks for the reminder.
    WK

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

I tried building a cellar of the usual suspects but got tired of the constant quest.. plus when they outlaw tobacco I would rather have a tub of PA, CH or SB than a tin of xx. I've been socking away tubs of all three and occasionally add a couple of MM cobs.

JuanOrez and Whalehead King like this.
  11. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

Roger that!!

JuanOrez and Whalehead King like this.
  12. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Have to admit, out of the OTC's I've tried so far. SWR is my favorite by far. Lots of favor packed in to that pouch. I like it better than a couple of the Tewksbury samples I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.