1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Castello pipe with high-pitched whistle question.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ChrisB, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Just bought one and it has a whistle. When I break it down, it is definitely coming from the mouthpiece and not the bowl itself. Is this a sign of a defect? Otherwise it seems great, although the noise is a little annoying.
    Thanks.

2. Splat

Splat Member

Maybe it doesn't know the words.

:D

3. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Some of mine do that. Has to do with the draft hole where it meets the bowl....I think.

4. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

Does it whistle with tobacco in the bowl?

5. Splat

Splat Member

Could it be the passageway in the stem is tapered?

6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Stop blowing in your pipe ;-)
    And if you are drawing on it hard enough to make it whistle while it's packed... you'll be asking about pipe-mud soon.

More seriously, I doubt it's any sort of issue at all. Many pipes whistle if sufficiently provoked.
    It's possible that the taper/air flow inside the stem isn't quite perfect and that can be addressed if it's problematic.

If it gurgles substantially let us know.

jshogan2, psquared and jdto like this.
  7. mattia76

mattia76 Member

I used to just think this was a problem that sometimes ocurred with the older, rhinestone-stemmed Castellos.
    However, I just got one with the white bar that does it too.

The problem is a slight bottleneck where the draft-hole meets the stem opening. You can see it if you look through the stem from the end of the shank. I don't know why it's there, but from all sides, at the very end of the bore, you can see the lucite narrow and cover the opening to the mouth-piece. It results in a much tighter draw than should be possible. I have had one drilled out before with great success. I believe it cost me around $10 from Tinsky a couple of years ago.

The real problem is what to do with one that is a bent with the same problem.

psquared and Spillproof like this.
  8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Personally, I have found pipes with a bit of a whistle to be great smokers...something with the airway that results in both a whistle, and the perfect draft...

Coastal Bend likes this.
  9. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

It's only gonna be a problem when you start attracting all the stray dogs in your neighborhood when you're trying to enjoy your pipe.

jshogan2, psquared, Thuber88 and 3 others like this.
  10. Splat

Splat Member

Better buy the big box of biscuits! :)

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

actually they were made specifically for soccer referees.
    OT

psquared, Johnny Dingo and dwaugh like this.
  12. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Thanks all. when I detach the mouthpiece from the bowl, it whistles, so I don't think it is in the join.

13. mattia76

mattia76 Member

You're right, it's NOT in the Join, but rather IN THE STEM, where the draft hole in the stem becomes the differently shaped chamber for the mouth-piece.

14. Trumpetboy

Trumpetboy New Member

The main reason for the whistle is the fact that many of the stems on Castello and most other Italian pipes only have a round hole that is recessed a bit at the button end. I've got a large collection of Castellos and in most of them I've taken a small diamond needle file and opened that hole up to a small "V", rounding out the corners at the end. The transformation in draft, and smoking qualities is AMAZING. Gone is the whistle, and instead you get a deeper, more relaxed draw, like it should be. You also get a better more consistent dryer smoke.
    I've actually discussed this with the guys at the Castello shop in Rome, and was told they finish the stems like this for added strength, but I've not noticed any weakening after I open the button up.
    The process usually takes around 15 minutes, and is worth it! I usually wet the file and it seems to work more smoothly that way.
    If you look at pipe stems from Ruthenberg, Larrysson, and even older Charatans and Dunhills, they all end in a smooth V, not a hole with sharp edges that will produce turbulence, and therefore a whistle.
    I know it's hard to take a file to a 400.00 pipe, but once you try this you'll be convinced.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  15. darkflake

darkflake Old Ted Award 2016 Forum Guide

What Trumpetboy said. I cannot recall a Lucite stemmed Italian pipe that wasn't drilled "in one end and out the other". I have done the file number with Ascorti, Caminetto, Ser Jacopo and, yes, Castello. Makes all the difference in the world. Peace.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.