1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Cbw blends?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by powell0892, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Hello there...So I have to say I love CBW but honestly it does taste like 1/3 hot air 1/3 chemicals 1/3 amazing vanilla marshmallow goodness! Well its that 1/3 of goodness that just keeps me coming back almost daily but the chemicals are just getting to me lately. Anybody got any good suggestions for mixing or blending or anything that might help cut down on these bad parts and still give me that good part and amazing smell I love so much? Thanks for the help!!!

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Yep! Getcha some Boswell's Paradise. Smoke it straight, blend it, use it as snuff - it does'nt matter cause you still get that wonderful vanilla/marshmellow goodness.:)

3. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Ok I will have to try it, I got some Boswells Best hoping it might be similar but just doesn't seem to do the trick...

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Smoker's Pride black cavendish. It's cheap but legit! Mix it with some PA or something and you'll be on your way.

RTOdhner and ruffinogold like this.
  5. Brian

Brian Member

I always want to like CBW too, but end up with the same reaction as Powell0892. I never finish a pouch. I'm not saying it's bad stuff. I like it, but it's too strong and too chemical tasting to me after a while.

I moved on to Lane 1Q when I get that craving. I'm not saying it's the same thing, but it fills that taste for me. I have RLP-6 too. RLP-6 looks a lot like CBW, but I think it is more dark chocolaty and less sweet tasting than CBW. 1Q is more finely shredded with golden toasted Cavendish mixed in to the black Cavendish. I think it is closer in flavor. It isn't quite as intense as CBW, but to me that's a good thing.

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

My thoughts EXACTLY! I recently re-tried CH after a bad first try. I just didnt find it apealing. Then it sat in my car for about 2 months and I just decided to light up a cob with it about a week ago and WOW! Amazing!!
    It got me to thinking if CBW would do the same thing. Maybe an experiment is brewing!
    I did find a few years ago a shop in Clarks Summit Pa. called Connoly's Smoke Shop. A hybrid barber shop/tobacco shop that catered promarily to pipe smokers. John had me try his Shannon blend because I said I smoked CBW and he told me all the reasons that Shannon's was better. It was. Unfortunately John passed away 2 years ago from cancer, but his wife continues the tobacco blending and still sells it. Dont know if she ships but it's worth the phone call if she does. I have some of John's Shannon's in a bell jar and just cant bring myself to open it and smoke it. One day I will.

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....1/3 hot air...1/3 chemicals....(which are getting to you ) it's only saving grace - "vanilla marshmallow...er...goodness?", why - I wonder, waste time and money on this junk when there are so many excellent tobaccos to be savoured?
    OT
    PS as you will no doubt gather - I'm not the Captain's greatest fan, in fact on my recent trip to Turkey, I ran out of my usual tobacco for a few days, and all that I could find in the shops was CBW!....I put the pipes away - untill I found a palatable alternative!:(

RTOdhner and TxPipesmoker like this.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Lane's RLP-6 is the same blend as CBW but without the massive amounts of preservatives, without which the Captain would experience a fatal mutiny.

IrishRover likes this.
  9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Yep, have to agree. I've been told that Lane RLP-6 is what Captain Black White is supposed to be...

10. dmkerr

Someone wrote a review of this blend on this site recently - today or yesterday.

11. MakDragon

One more to add to my TAD..... and since I dont want to use a present pipe, my PAD

12. dmkerr

See how this stuff perpetuates itself? With each new tobacco discovery, comes a new pipe. As it should be. Now and forever.

13. MakDragon

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

14. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Sound great I will have to give RLP-6 a try thanks guys!

15. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

BRILLIANT!!!!!!! x 2! :puffy:

16. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Powell, You've been gone a while? If so, welcome back!

Try "Savanna", by Tobacco Trader. I like it better than 1Q or CBW.

17. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Pecci: Yes I have, but im back for awhile now! (until it gets hot again) anyway thanks for the recommendation I tried Lane 1Q and it just didnt cut it for me, dont get me wrong it wasnt bad just not "it" I will take a look at Savanna.

18. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

While it's not Captain Black, have you tried Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (SWR)? The Cap'n offers an overdose of vanilla pearched upon goat turds attempting to pass as tobacco. SWRA offers a great tobacco base with a nice chocolate-like flavoring that has been nicely applied. Try some SWRA, cuz it's an aro that is really good.

MakDragon likes this.
  19. powell0892

powell0892 Member

I actually smoked a bowl this afternoon, and it was a great smoke!

20. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

On their site you can send for a free generous sample. If you try it, let me know what you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.