1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

CDC report

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by acastell, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acastell

acastell New Member

Jul 7, 2012
    There are a number of posts acoss multiple pipe forums discussing if there has been an increase in pipe smoking...well, here is some conclusive study...

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Some truth to it, but what I didn't see mentioned (and may have just missed) is the changes in taxation resulting in cigarette tobacco being cut slightly thicker and relabeled as pipe tobacco. Just because more "pipe tobacco" is being sold does not mean more people are smoking pipes.

A great example is the Gambler "pipe tobacco" sold in huge plastic bags at my grocery. The words PIPE TOBACCO are on the bag in large, conspicuous letters......and the bags hang on a Gambler display rack which bears the phrase "Make A Better Cigarette," along with injectors and pre-rolled filter tubes.

This almost certainly will spell big trouble for legitimate pipe smokers. As legislators catch on to this, it is quite likely that taxes will be very substantially raised on pipe tobacco in an effort to close the loophole.
  3. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Also the study assumes total consumption which is not the case with pipe tobacco and cigars in recent years. We all see the coming tax explosion (those of us in Britain and Canada are living it) and most of us are cellaring some additional tobacco for aging, hedging against price increases, or the Zombie apocalypse.
  4. srfulton

srfulton Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I seen this too in smoke shops in Kansas when I was on holiday the 4 of july. It can only get worse ofcourse its already gotten bad here and in some states.
  5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    I could bitch about a lot of things. I'm old and I feel intitled. One thing I can't complain about is our cost on pipe tobacco. Now, let me tell you about erectile disfunction............

I do NOT take myself seriously.

Ol Brokedik.
    Yossarian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.