CELLAR, PART THREE: THE TINNED WING

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The cellar has come along nicely. My OTC wing is pretty-well stocked with my favorites: SWR, Granger, Walnut, CH, and H&H. The Bulk wing is pretty well stocked with my favorite MacB, Stokkebyre, and C&D blends.

Now it's time to focus on the tins. This is where I've really got thank you guys, because over the years y'all have turned me on to some really monster blends - or at least blends that I think are really good. My goal is to stock up on the blends that I know I like, and to have at least three tins of each. The reality, though, is that I'd really like to have at least five tins of each. The following is the list of suspects that I need to get secured:

-- AC Peterson Escudo.
    -- Presbyterian Mixture.
    -- Dunhill: Early Morning Pipe, London Mixture, My Mixture 965, Night Cap, Standard Mixture, and Royal Yacht.
    -- C&D: Bayou Morning Flake, Black Frigate, and Blocade Runner.
    -- GL Pease: Cairo, Haddos Delight, Quiet Nights, and Westminster.
    -- MacB: Dark Twist, HH Acadian Perique, Navy Flake, Plumcake, and Solent Mixture.
    -- McClelland: Frog Morton, Frog Morton on the Town, Navy Cavendish, and James Woods.
    -- McConnell: Oriental, Red Virginia, Scottish Flake, and Scottish Blend.
    -- Peterson: Irish Oak, Old Dublin, Sherlock Holmes, and University Flake.
    -- Solani: Virginia Flake and Aged Burley Flake.
    -- Wessex: Burley Slice, Gold Virginia Flake, and Red Virginia Flake.

There are others that I have been meaning to try, but these are the ones that I've tried and like enough to cellar. Of course there are others that I've tried and liked, but not enough to want to devote my limited resources of storage space and money. The untried blends will have to wait because I figure that just focusing on these is gonna take enough time as it is. I'll start trying others after I've cellared these.

2. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

In the war against one's bank account, it's always good to have a battle plan.

3. RTOdhner

So many tobaccos, so little money.

4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Story of my life, brother. I will vouch for Irish Oak, London Mixture, My Mixture 965, Night Cap, Standard Mixture, and Royal Yacht. Try the Peterson's Irish Flake, too.

David Emond, RTOdhner and bubbagump like this.
  5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

That's a good list there. I've been meaning to try AC Peterson Escudo and Mac Baren Navy Flake.

David Emond and RTOdhner like this.
  6. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Sweet list RTO! I totally agree with the so many tobaccos so little time sentiment!

David Emond and RTOdhner like this.
  7. RTOdhner

IF is too stout for my girly azz, at least right now. I might go back and revisit it at some point, though.

I just did some ciphering, and the proposed tin wing will consist of about 37 blends, a total of at least 111 tins, and run somewhere around $1200. Needless-to-say, this is gonna take a while. This CAD (Cellar Acquisition Disorder) is a mutha! You evil enablers have driven me to this point!

8. User4408

User4408 Active Member

The first 5 minutes of Irish Flake are superb, but the hammer blows lose their charm after that.

By accident I discovered that folding of few strands of it in with MB Va. No. 1 produces an incredibly good smoke. Similar to--but better than--the MB spun discs like Stockton and Dark Twist. The combo is much much greater than the sum of its parts. Probably one of my greatest smoking accidents of 2012.

And at least the IF won't go to waste. Now I handle it like it's pure gold.

Edit: FWIW I'd recommend adding Union Square and Laurel Heights to your GLP list. The first is a pure Virginia but it has the nutty overtones of good burley. The second is tangy and mouth watering like a prized vintage English mixture, only without the troublesome latakia.

David Emond and Brian Stephen like this.
  9. RTOdhner

#1 - The Hammer Blow: I whole-heartedly agree. The first five minutes is pure bliss, but then the nicotine poisoning kicks in and I enter a state of delirium. I might just have to experiment with using it as a base, and order a tin of it and MacB Virginia Flake (which I think has no flavor) and see what I get. Maybe one full Virginia Flake and a 1/3 of an Irish Flake. Hhmmm, the August TAD order might just include a tin of each.

#2 - GLP recommendations: Both of these have been on my "curiosity list." This may be an omen that I need to try them. (A case of the tobacco gods speaking through others).

David Emond and User4408 like this.
  10. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Roy

I see in your Peterson tin selections you didn't list PPP.I whittled some up this morning and I must say this stuff is awesome with morning coffee.The burley really shined....kind of like apricots dipped in dark chocolate.The stuff is a total pain in the keester to whittle(razor knife shavings til it got so small I couldn't really hold it,then I cut little squares out of it) out but it's absolutely worth it.I'm looking forward to tomorrow mornings coffee and pipe already......whats left of the tin is in a ready rubbed condition.

I still love University Flake but PPP is taking top honors this week.

Ron

David Emond likes this.
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

That is a great list of tins. I would recommend substituting the Wessex Gold Virginia Flake for Capstan Blue Flake. I have smoked the Wessex for a year now and really enjoy it, but I think the Capstan is definitely tastier and it is similar in that is a Golden Virginia forward type flake. I find the Capstan to be sweeter and it has a unique flavor. I find the Wessex very similar to Dunhill Flake, both real tasty but a step below the Capstan. Just a little food for thought.

David Emond likes this.
  12. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Ive seen people use coffee grinders to chop up 3P's...

David Emond and ronbruce61 like this.
  13. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Gonna have to give that a shot.

Ron

David Emond likes this.
  14. krusty

krusty Active Member

Or one o' these (-:

[​IMG]

Preacher1611 and David Emond like this.
  15. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

My B&M has one of those sitting up on a shelf...I reckon its only for display though, cause it looks like it hasnt been used since WWI...

David Emond likes this.
  16. krusty

krusty Active Member

I spent about 20 minutes with a stone on the blade and this thing slices tissue thin now!

David Emond and dwaugh like this.
  17. RTOdhner

It's on my "to try" list. The only plug tobacco I've tried so far is Grousemoore, and I liked it. Been meaning to try PPP, but I've yet to get around to it.

David Emond likes this.
  18. RTOdhner

That's another one on the "to try" list.

David Emond likes this.
  19. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Aww hell yea.....that's what I'm talkin bout.

Ron

David Emond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.