Cellar preferences

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TxPipesmoker, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

I store 99% of my cellared tobacco in Mason jars. The other 1% I keep in the original vacuum sealed tins. Example: I buy three tins of a blend and open two tins. I store the contents of one tin in a sealed (not vacuumed) Mason jar. I smoke one of the tins and leave the third tin alone.

I don't know where I picked this up or why I do it. I like for the tobacco to age a bit, so I don't vacuum the tins. I'm just curious to what others do and why.

2. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

I'm curious, how long before the tobacco in the jar has a discernably different taste from the unopened tin?

MG

3. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

In my cellar, only bulk tobacco gets stored in mason jars...the rest stays in unopened tins. Once a tin has been opened, the contents go into a mason jar but becomes part of my current rotation and kept in a different location than my cellar. If that makes any sense??? :cfsd: In other words, I don't cellar tobacco that was once in a tin.

4. Drek

Drek Member

I hate jars! I have a bunch of them but I don't put anything "worthy" in of fear that the seal will give up without me knowing it. I've had so many jars (for general use) that had failed on me over the years, I can't trust them ever again. I usually keep blends I didn't like much in jars, but plan on revisiting sometime down the road. Blends I did not like at all stay in the opened tin, maybe one day I would rehydrate and revisit, but highly unlikely :)

I age my tobacco in the sealed tin, if I want to age longer - I buy more tins.
    Tins are not perfect vacuum, there is plenty of air, yet no circulation, so all the good stuff stays in the tin, but it's still slowly aging :puffy:

5. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Ditto. Bulk in jars. Tins in tins. A tin gets opened only because I'm going to smoke it...except for large tins (8+ ounces). In that case, the stuff goes into 1/2 pt jars and enters the to-be-smoked conclave. It gets unintentionally cellared if it takes me a while to get to it.

6. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

This

7. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Ehh odd man out, I guess. Oh well.

8. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

+me too.

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I always stay ahead of the bulk by at least a couple of jars-- by which I mean that I smoke the newer stuff first, so that the previous stuff can get some time on it. I do the same with tins, too, come to think of it. If I notice I'm below a certain threshold in any particular tobacco, I buy some and smoke that rather than opening an older jar or tin. I'll probably die with 20-year old tobacco gone to waste. :)

10. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Just add me to your will, "I hereby bequeath all my tobacco to Jayson" should work...:rolleyes:

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

You wouldn't want it. There's a lot of 1792, Dark Flake Scented, Grousemoor, and Ennerdale in there.

Seriously, though, I have been thinking about what should happen to all this pipey stuff in the event that I get hit by a bus or something. I'll think about it and post something in the "off topic" section.

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Interesting you posted this thread. I was just thinking about this.
    Most of the new tobacco's I get (non-bulk) I open the tin right away to try it (right away) and then put it in a mason jar.
    However, now that I found a bunch of tins of SG tobacco available, I have stocked up. I got some that I love and have in mason jars already, and some new ones I have not tried yet. I am keeping the ones that I have already tried and still have in mason jars, in their tins. When I am out of the tobacco in the mason jar, I will then open the tin.
    I have about 8 unopened tins now.
    The new SG's I received recently that I never smoked, have been opened and put in mason jars already. ;)
    (All good btw!)

13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Same story as some of the other posts. Bulk in jars, tins still in tins.. Although; I did learn that Sutliff tins were cardboard with liners. I need to put that tobacco in jars. I do have some pouches that have been sitting for 8 months .. they're probably toast now

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I don't keep leaf in opened tins unless I'm smoking it and will burn it all up in short order. So, opened tins go to jars.

4 oz jars are perfect for partial tins/samples.

8 oz for full 50's/2oz tins

12 oz tallboys are perfect for flakes to stand up

16 oz is the largest I prefer to use. It breaksdown a pound into 3-4 jars so I can keep some for long term and some for even longer term. Now, I reserve the 32 & 64 oz sizes for packets of leaf like Peterson's, Solani SF, WO Larsen packet leaf that aren't sealed but in plastic baggies that are just folded over and taped (sealed).

Jars are truly the best way to cellar but if your seals are old or you have leaf between the seal and jar, you better clean up your act or get new seals.

Ed
    Puff

Rewster66 likes this.
  15. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I just filled another eight jars with recently acquired and opened (I have so little self control) tins. Still need more jars!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.