1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Availability is th problem where I live. When I initially came here in 1999 there were several decent B&M Tobacconist shops here in town. But have all but disappeared now leaving only convenience store type places which carry tobaccos, cigarettes and cheap fruit flavored cigars or OTC pipe tobaccos. And thats just fine and dandy, don't get me wrong. But these tobaccos are expensive; as much as $35 a 50 gram pouch. So I'm pinched for even the simple pleasures of OTC blends.

I've tried to concentrate on blends I really like for cellaring. Honestly, I would never have bought an ounce of Penzance if I hadn't really liked it. I not care how popular it is. And I guess I base my chosen blends with that in mind as well.

If I find a tobacco I really enjoy, I'll usually try to cellar at least three pounds of it. Some as much as five pounds being my ultimate goal. PS Flakes come to mind. I keep track of these stored blends in my TobaccoCellar.com. for reference.

For aging, or the blends I've closed the lids on and won't disturb, there are only a few thus far I have. Penzance, Stonehaven, some PS LNF, and LTF. OGS and HVM are there as well.

I hope this thread gets a lot of responses so I can see how others have set up their cellars.
  2. iSiv

iSiv Member

Mar 9, 2012
    • Wait for baccy buying mood.
    • When in the mood spend as much money on baccy as possible.
    • DO NOT look at my baccy spreadsheet.
    • Once baccy is bought, enter into spreadsheet
    • Cry (this is what puts me off buying baccy - e.g. bulk SL bought March '09 for $2/oz and bulk SL bought March '12 for $5/oz).
    • Repeat
    Fortunately I have a little shy of 485 oz in the cellar and my strategy usually leaves me buying baccy in very large quantities every 2-3 years.

As for what I buy, it's the usual stuff but occasionally I'll lay down something new - last year I bought 64oz of H&H bulk because they sounded great.
    RTOdhner and UberHuberMan like this.
  3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I buy and store mostly to avoid future price increases and the massive tax increases that will surely come. I have tubs of CH, PA and SB stashed. I buy 1792 locally whenever they get a pound box and move it to mason jars. I also have jars of Boswells Northwoods and SHPC Great Hiatus. As for tins I have a stack of Presbyterian Mix, Pete's Sherlock Holmes and Irish Flake. I also buy Balkan Sobranie from a couple of local shops when I see it.
    RTOdhner likes this.
  4. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Jan 18, 2012
    This. This exactly.
    RTOdhner likes this.
  5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    My bulk, day-to-day smoking needs are pretty much taken care of, so now I'm on to the "fancy" stuff with an eye on aging to bring out the best qualities of each tinned blend. What particular Virginia or Balkan (aside from Moo's Reiner and Dunhill blends) that y'all would recommend, and why? And as for the Reiner and Dunhill blends, what would you recommend and why would you recommend them?
    I'm pretty much a blank slate when it comes to blends like these, so the more suggestions and info I can get the better.
  6. Goat

Goat Active Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I probably shouldn't tell you this because the stuff is getting harder and harder to find, but.....
    My personal all time favorite, and it only comes tined, is Wessex Campaign Dark flake. IMO the best Va out there. Every time I smoke a bowl of that stuff I can feel the tranquility just wash right over me.
    muddler and RTOdhner like this.
  7. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer Member

Jan 19, 2013
    We’re enjoying a time when the amount of tobacco being bought is for storing and ageing. This however will come to a halt when the taxes by state and federal governments will basically pull the trigger on much of tobacco sales. So what does that all mean.

Well with the drastic drop in demand, from the grower all the way to the retailer, prices will rise at every level just to stay in business. This will close many retailers, who can’t make enough of a profit to keep open, and probably cut the brands available in half. You have to look at it from a completely business standpoint of supply, cost to make, and demand. For example if I have 10 people making products and lay off 5 of them, I have to concentrate on what those 5 people can produce.

So find what you like but always keep in mind the difference between storing and ageing. In the short run of a couple years it won’t make much of a difference. If you’re looking at 5 years or more, than VA content is everything. Those with low VA content will change as the VA mellows and the stronger tobacco like Latkia take over. This blending will change the flavor, and may not be in a good way. The non-VA tobacco will not age and start to lose its flavor. So you have a gamble on what you’ll taste in a 10 year old 15% VA.

I’m ageing VA and VAPers, and storing some others knowing that it’s a short term investment against taxes. Having some of the rarer ones could be a huge advantage in a couple of years from now for trading or selling. But I think people will start to realize that the VA straight or in a large percent will make all the difference in flavor thus its value.

So when I look at a blend that’s mostly VA, let’s take AK as an example. I find it fantastic, but feel those years of the blending and the mellowing of the VA is going to produce something amazing. SJF is another gamble because we are dealing with perique, what will that be like in 10 years, I don't know...Will it blend mildly because it is a VA by process, or will that process remain strong and then overpower the other VAs. Now that’s just my thinking and taste, everyone’s is different. If you find one, love the flavor and it’s a high VA, you may have yourself a real winner 10 years from now.
    RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.