1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Cellar Storage Methods Revisited

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I saw the thread where Ed (Puff) asked about vacuum storage for tobacco. I'm curious to see how many have tried that, but I'd also like to know about some others methods.

I've read about mason jars, vacuum sealed cannisters, etc. What I haven't seen is, does anyone store their toby in a humidor or humidified cabinet?

I'm having cabinets built soon and was thinking of trying something. When I smoked cigars regularly, I had a large humidor. I could take a good cigar, store it 6-12 months in my humidor and it came out a superb cigar. I'm curious to know if this is the case with pipe tobacco?

So, my plan was to line one of the cabinets in my office with cedar paneling. Seal the seams up well and place a gasket between the door and cabinet. Install a cigar style humidification system and hydrometer. What do you guys think?

Is air tight, dry storage better or humidor style? Has anyone tried this?

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I don't believe toby should be stored in any "wetter" of a moisture level than when the tin is first opened. I'd imagine each different toby has a point where too much is too much and will degrade either the toby and/or the smoking experience, even if you dry it out for a period prior to smoking. And along those lines, each different toby has a best/safest storage level and smoke level (of rh). AND we all know that we have our own different preferred smoking level for certain if not all toby we smoke. The pinch test is a good one but there is a good amount of variation from clumps together and stays vs. dry and crackly.

I'm not exactly sure what's a safe "ballpark" relative humidity level to please ALL different 'baccys but I'd go no wetter than the humidity level of fresh opened tin to maybe within a month from open. Of course, that depends on the rh in your environment where the tin has remained "breathing" for that month too.

Sounds like an interesting idea re: Your Pipe Toby Humidor, it would definitely look way classier than canning jars but how you storing your toby in this cabinet?

:)
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

My guess is that it would work fine. What I'd probably do if I were you would be to keep the opened tins you are smoking in there and use jars for aging. First you need a sealed enviornment for the aging process and second you'll soon fill the cabinet and be back to storing in jars.

I would bet the 70/70 rule of thumb used for cigars would work fine. When I first started out I had an empty cigar humidor that I put all my open tins and bags of tobacco in. I kept it at 70% humidity and in the low to mid 70's in temp and the tobacco stayed fresh. The only reason I quit using it for that was space. You just can't fit alot in there.

Also keep in mind if you store tobacco in baggies in there it'll all start melding together. Pretty soon it'll all smell pretty similar. Has to have an effect on taste if it changes the smell that much.

4. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Cellar bulk blends in jars and tinned blends in their sealed tins. Done.

5. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

:flowers:

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I too! :flowers:

B)
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. BradNTX

I was thinking open tins and mason jars with bulk that I am smoking. I'd also store bulk tobacco by the pound. For these, I'd do 8 oz ziplock freezer bags, which are then stuck in 1 lb stackable tupperware, so it would be double sealed.

I've just noticed that stuff I am currently smoking seems to dry out before I can finish it. This includes open tins and my air tight cannisters. The frequent opening & closing in the Texas climate I think is too much.

If the cigars didn't meld flavors together, and they were stacked together w/bare leaf, I thought sealed tins/cannisters & tupperware would help protect flavors of pipe toby from melding as well. I dunno, but I want to try something to it doesn't get to dry before I smoke it.

I may give it a try and if it is too damp, I'll adjust down the humidity level. If it is still too wet, I can always scrap the humidification system and just use the cabinet.

Has anyone ever stored pipe toby in a humidor?

8. erickghint

erickghint Member

I use mason jars, personally. I have read about people using humidors, but the humidity for pipe tobacco needs to be lower than for cigars. From what I remember, the 70/70 is too high and it needs to be more like 45-50/70. I could be wrong about that, though.

9. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

No, I think you are correct eg.

10. BradNTX

That's good stuff to know. I'll have to remember when deciding on a humidifiction system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.