Cellaring / aging

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Shootinok, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Do unopened tins age better / same as tobacco in jars?

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Not sure about "better", but certainly "different". According to Greg Pease (My baccy Guru) once a tobacco is sealed in it's tin enzymes begin to break the tobacco sugars down...first aerobic, then once the oxygen is consumed, anabolic. If you interrupt the process by re-introducing oxygen, the process starts over, changing the final result. So a ten year old tin of tobacco left untouched in the tin, will taste different than a similar ten year old tin that has been opened and re-sealed after a year or two. Bulk tobaccos have not been sealed away, so the process here is different yet. The break-down once you seal the tobacco, will be different yet, due to the time it sat and "melded" prior to sealing.
    These "differences" are in most cases, discernible to only the more sophisticated palates...certainly NOT to mine....pure bourgeoisie.

HTH

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Ahh...yes... in my opinion it does. However there is no scientific evidence to support me.

4. CBR

CBR Member

I remember reading that musing by GL Pease as well, but alas for me I don't have that refined of a palate.

5. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

Thanks, that's great information.
    I haven't been at this long enough to have anything older than a few months, but thanks to the box pass, I want to put some away.
    Been looking at a TAD order.
    :thankyou:

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Just an opinion, but most tobaccos (especially Latakias) start to fade after 8-10 years. I've had the opportunity to smoke some very old tobaccos...Virginias and Va/Pers seem to "age" best. Burleys, due to their low sugar content, don't show much change with time.

7. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I really want to buy a tin of OGS and put it in a drawer and forget about it for a year or two and see what happens

8. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I don't smoke VAs until at least six months after I buy the tin because they improve so much it just seems like a shame to interrupt.

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Greg's tobaccos are another that do well with six months to two years...if you can stand the wait. He mentioned somewhere, that his tobaccos are purposely tinned "green", and suggested waiting a while to let them "meld"....
    Now I'm thinking about popping that three year old tin of OGS......Nah! :lolu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.