Cellaring aromatics

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JuanOrez, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuanOrez

JuanOrez Member

Hey all.

Wondering what you experienced folks have to say about cellaring aromatic tobacco. I've heard from some that it doesn't cellar well and from others that as long as you use high quality tobacco it's fine. Any opinions on the subject or anyone that has cellared aromatics compared to other blends? What's the outcome and what is the general rule of thumb for cellaring aromatics if someone wanted to?

Thanks all for any feedback!

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I've had decade old tins of Caledonian
    421, and 10 that were fine with no
    change. Don't know how other aros hold
    up to these danish ones. :dunno:

dp

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm fond of some aromatics. When I decided to cellar them, I went on the principle that I didn't want the tobacco to dry out at all as the aromatic essences would be volatile esthers, therefore I would only cellar aromatics in upopened tins. I've just broke out a tin of Sunset Breeze that's just over a year old and I honestly cannot tell the difference between that one and a fresh tin.

All I can say is that so far this idea seems to be working just fine,

Best to all

Gerry

4. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Falconeer has given some sound advice in imho. If you do, for some reason, have to cellar bulk or open-tinned aromatics make sure you jar them right away and pack them tight so that as little air as possible is in the mason jar. Aros are more delicate than other tobaccos in that if they dry out, even a little, you have lost that much flavor.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Cellaring tobacco is done for two main reasons...either to hedge bets on future shortages, or to 'age' the tobacco. My understanding is when an aromatic is properly stored, either in it's tin or jarred, it will be as good down the road as the day you purchased it. So for reason number one, you're fine. That said, aromatics don't tend to improve with age, so attempting to coax a more sublime smoke out of them isn't likely. Aging seems to affect a change most dramatically in Virginia based blends.

So, there is no well known harm in putting up some of your favorite aromatic for a rainy day...just make sure it's sealed right, and don't expect wine like improvements.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The best I can offer is a 3 year old bulk aromatic that I mason jar'd. It was fine - no difference from fresh stock. As Yinyang said, don't expect improvements but so far it hasn't deteriorated.

7. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

Thanks for the info ying.

8. JuanOrez

JuanOrez Member

Excellent info. Thanks all.

My plan is to cellar some of my favorites to ensure I don't get hit too hard with price increases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.